free hit
counters
Engine check light - code 24 & 26 - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Engine check light - code 24 & 26

Hi Guys,

Any help or ideas gratefully received

I went out for a spin in the Esprit SE to the farm last night, 18 miles , put all the stock to bed, when I got back in the car and started the engine, the check warning light would not go out.

I drove the car home, it seemed to run as normal, but would only boost to .5 bar. I left the car to stand overnight and then this morning I bridged the ALDL connector and got code 24 and 26 flashing (wheel sensor and quad control), I also noticed that when I bridged the connector the cooling fans came on, after switching off the ignition and removing the bridge lead, I switch on the ignition and the cooling fans didn't come on. I took it out for a test drive, back to normal, I turned off the engine and then on restart the engine check light came on and stayed on.

I anybody has any ideas or has had this before, I would appreciate any help or comments.

Regards

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any fuses blown? (in the engine compartment relay box).

Most of the circuits which generate the Quad message have fuses.

The Quad message is divided into A and B categories.

A:

Radiator Fan circuit

Wastegate Solenoid circuit

Secondary Injectors (I think these use the fuel pump relay).

Check Engine Light circuit

B:

Above 1500rpm circuit

A/C Control Relay circuit

Engine Overheat Relay circuit

Solenoid Relay (Throttle Jack) circuit

Cheers.

Ian.

Thanks Guys,

i will check the fuses and wiring this morning.

i have a S4 repair manual CD, do you know if the wiring loom diagrams are the same for the engine management so i can check the wiring for breaks/ bad connections.

Regards

Mk1

I am no diagnostics guru but the root cause of a recent Code 26 on my '89 non-SE turned out to be a vacuum leak.

I caused it myself when I took out the trunk floor to work on the shift linkage. One of the lines had a small ozone crack where it plugs onto the charcoal canister. Of course I had to remove and replace about 40 different vacuum connections (using a little silicone grease on each to create a good seal) before finding it!

I plan to replace all of the now-20-year-old vacuum lines and connectors with Viton tubing to try to prevent similar problems with other vacuum lines.

Good luck,

Tom

"If everything is under control, you're going too slow." - Mario Andretti

i have a S4 repair manual CD, do you know if the wiring loom diagrams are the same for the engine management so i can check the wiring for breaks/ bad connections.

Yes, the SE engine management wiring appears to be the same as the S4 (hasn't failed me yet). However, the CD version wiring sometimes needs a bit of imagination and cross referencing to other parts of the manual. The image scanner the CD guy used didn't read the wire positions very well. Not that the official paper manuals are perfect... I have paper manuals for SE servicing and parts (expensive), but unfortunately, they didn't give me everything I needed to know about my car.

Cheers.

Ian.

Edited by Qavion