free hit
counters
Garage Doors - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi all,

Iam just in the process of converting my office back to a garage and was just about to take the window out in the front for the garage and nip down to my local B&Q to buy a door. I did a quick check on measurements and it isn't the standard 7' or 7'-6" wide opening, it's 8'-6" instead. This has left me in a pickle and very little time to start searching the net or yellow pages. Can anyone recoemmend a reasonably price garage door (manual or electric)? Bearing in mind the stand door was only going to cost me

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

Look up Janus International. Granted I purchased a set of doors stateside but if the name is relevant they may have an office on your side of the pond.

The reason for mentioning them is that I had an unusual requirement for my garage doors in that I needed a roll-up configuration for my home garage doors. Something you seldom see here. I've had them now for a bit over a year and they do the job perfectly.

I don't know what the pricing will be or if they are even available for you, but it may be worth a try. Also, by being a roll-up door the height and width will not be an issue as opposed to a standard panel construction door.

Good luck and hope this is of some help.

Al B.

I have 2 roll up electrically operated garage doors (double garage) - they are available in the UK. Remote controlled from a fob from within the car!

they make them to fit the space so they come and measure up first.

You won't get them for

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Dave,

We have one or two companies that do roller shutter doors here. I really wanted a one piece door as I have no head room above the door as there is a bulkhead there.

Al,

I'll look up Janus International

Any other ideas anyone?

I've got a wide remote controlled roller door with very little head room as we have a bedroom above the garage, and the roller fits easily within the garage. I would recommend them anyday in prefference to an up and over door.

My wifes parents also had one installed a while ago in a garage with a very low ceiling, but they ended up with the roll on the outside of the garage enclosed in a rectangular box. Not as clean, but less obtrusive than you would think when enlcosed.

I can't put a roller door in as I have boxed from the opening and inside the garage to ceiling, so no space there. It used to be an office so plasterboard came to door opening and it's already decorated.

I can't put the roller shutter on the outside as I've just built a carport which is the same level as the door opening and touches the garage.

I have thought this one through which is why I need a canopy door with handle on lower third of door.

Any other ideas?

Dave

Have you thought about a sectional door. Slides up on to a horizontal track taking up very little headroom.

Yes I have then I hit another problem as my garage then has a huge void as it's a dual pitch roof so the tracks will have nothing to fix to. I would have to make a frame hung from joists which have all been plasterboarded out and skimmed and decorated (I can't easily see the joists).

I have thought of all the possibilities which is why I need a canopy door.

I need suggestions on where to buy one, any ideas?

usuals, wickes, local building suppliers, do you have a reclamation yard round there?? or failing that what about buying a second hand double up and over (either metal, plastic or wood)and then cutting down and re attaching the side sections behind for strengthening.

Other option is you could always make one using a timber frame first and then wood overlap (like fencing) over the frame.

Provided you buy the correct springs to counterbalance it and you position corretly in the aperture it should be a problem.

sorry I can't be more help.

Toby