free hit
counters
Clutch 101 - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The majority of the cost is the 8 hours labour needed to remove and refit the gearbox. With it out, it's a 10 minute job, 6 bolts!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just did a clutch job with one of our guys on an SE this past weekend. It took us about 1 hr 45 minutes to get the tranny out from the time he pulled into the garage until it was on the floor.

I went through 2 s4s plates with the same failure,

R u going back with stock?

I will try to rebuild one of mine with stronger springs and c how it holds up

Mine is a complete stock item supplied by Lotus, not sure what came out but genuine OEM items went back in :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hey Alex

Bibs's is 1989, but I can't remember the mileage. The clutch had worn uniformly and was just starting to touch the rivets. Clutch life is dependent on many things, especially driving style! You don't see that kind of spring damage too often - maybe melted by his turbo? :)

If your clutch is adjusted properly, you'll know when it needs changing as it'll start to slip under load. It's important to ensure correct adjustment at the lever because it can prevent flywheel damage. Bibs was heading for this scenario, until I adjusted it properly some weeks ago. This brought the slip to light earlier, thereby protecting the flywheel and saving lots of cash!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• 4 years later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi guys I have just had a similar problem, replaced clutch pressure plate clutch release bearing and spigot bearing, now when I press the clutch pedal I get a crunching now on half clutch, someone has suggested the thrust bearing may have become dislodged in the block, any ideas as this is a replacement engine just fitted and not been out of the garage yet.