free hit
counters
Bespoke Alloy Header Tanks - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Bespoke Alloy Header Tanks

superdavelotus

Bespoke Alloy Header Tanks  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Iam having a bespoke alloy header tank made to a high quality polished finish or in black. I have a few drawn up and I am wondering which is the most popular header tank which fails and owners who would consider an alloy one. I know that there are lots of purists out there who would have it no other way but to buy a Lotus steel one to keep their car original, so I respect you guys. There must be a few owners out there who would consider an alloy replacement in either polished alloy or painted black?

In the near future Iam having one made for my V8 but whilst Iam there, I might as well have made an earlier model too.

So I'd be grateful if you would vote on my poll

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are very tatty, I'd take an alloy one in black. Looks the same but lasts forever (and it's lighter too so I can drink more without the guilt!)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Isnt it off something mundane? I have it in my head it might be peugeot 205? no idea if thats right or not. I have a vague recollection of a conversation with Rob C some time back - you can already buy alloy tanks for a 205 i think..

Rob - You're right but that's the plastic header tank on the later cars you're thinking of!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi Rob,

The plastic tank for a V8 is off a V8 but alloy replacements don't have the two openings in the top, one for cap and other for water level. I can already get the these with a single hole for water level only off the shelf if anyone wants one. Not sure if you can then put your header tank cap on the expansion bottle instead incase you get high pressure?

I need to investigate this possibility further.

Personally, I would like one that has the same function as the one I already have so I can put an expansion cap on the actual header tank.

Regards,

Dave

Mine are very tatty, I'd take an alloy one in black. Looks the same but lasts forever (and it's lighter too so I can drink more without the guilt!)

I can do them in black painted or black anodised but at the moment, I just want to make one first. So any more votes please?

Dave Walters

You wouldn't wanna see the rubbish that lies in the depths of those cooling systems from steel tanks, the later ones from the 205 suffer becuase the steel inserts to re-inforce the ports rust as well - then you get bits breaking off and floating around the cooling system (I replaced mine with stainless steel / brass)

One thing I would suggest is that the early cars use a conductive level switch - I've probed on alloys that dont conduct at all well esp when they have been annodised or blackened, something to keep in mind.

facebook = [email protected]

The conductive level switch is causing me some problems. I thought it was the contacts that was riveted to tank (one underneather and one on side) rather than relying on the tank's metal body?

Dave Walters

From what I remember when I did mine the grey wires are grounded using the coolant as a conductor and the tank body as -ve.

I seem to remember the grey wires insulated from the tank body as they entered the tank - might be wrong though, although the circuit diagram kinda confirms that.

If I was doing it I would fit a small immersable switch - contacts are like 5mm appart and you just doink it into the water to conduct, just fit it 1/2 way down the tank, should be OK.

facebook = [email protected]

There is a ground terminal attached (riveted?) to the bottom of the tank. The level probes are inserted through rubber grommets, and are thus isolated from the tank body. The coolant creates a near-short circuit to ground which opens when the level drops below the probe.

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Dave, while I think that the alloy tank looks really good from an aesthetic standpoint, and I assume it to be more durable than the stock plastic tank (on the V8), doesn't an all metal or anodized tank sort of defeat the purpose of the translucence attribute of the plastic tank, which allows for an instant visual check of the coolant level? Also, as complex as the Esprit system appears to be, I for one am reluctant to open the header cap unless absolutely necessary. Is there a way to check the level of the alloy tank without removing the cap? Not sure I'd want to rely on the float switch alone, as it seems to have a history of self knackering. And, to be honest, I don't "trust" a visual check of the expansion tank as the default check.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Hi john,

I suspect that you are better sticking with your plastic one as you will be able to keep an eye on your water levels better. There are lots of ways we could put a sight in the header tank but to be honest, we are starting to get to many variables and options.

I can't please everyone so for the V8, Iam only making it for my car because I want. It will demonstrate what can be made for future and if anyone wants them. It will also show other companies how easy or hard it is to make these products and may give them a push to start mass producing them. As long as it helps the Esprit owner then the end goal will be achieved.

I also plan to make one other header tank and by the looks of the votes, it's likely to be the twin header tank. Again Iam only making this for one owner to demonstrate what can be made. Not sure what Iam going to do about water level sensors just yet.

Like most parts for the Esprit, the problem we have is that there's only limited numbers but lots of different models. Iam not about to launch this as a product, I was just curious on the popularity of each model's header tank.

Regards,

Dave Walters

Thanks for the reply, Dave, and the clarification of your "goal." Wasn't trying to rain on your parade, just asking about the pragmatic aspects of the mod. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Mostly I'm glad that you elected to hang onto the car, and even continue to "tweak" it! :) This forum is much the better for retaining your expertise and advice.

Cheers,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 4 years later...

Is this project still active?

I had my tanks bead blasted and sprayed (inside and out), but 5 years later, you wouldn't know it.

Do these tanks act as a sacrificial element (helping prevent corrosion in other areas)? :huh:

Cheers

Ian.

P.S. Found this site: http://andywiltshire.com/index.htm

Edited by Qavion

Qavion

Do you mean you had the original steel black ones sprayed inside and out?  Did the people on the link do it.

I currently have the same issue.  Looking for something I could put on the inside.  POR 15 but not sure about the temperature.

Can anyone suggest a fix.  Want to keep original tank

Do you mean you had the original steel black ones sprayed inside and out?

I did, and it seemed like a very good job at the time. Black on the outside, and a gold colour on the inside (I'm not sure if it had any special corrosion inhibiting properties).

Did the people on the link do it.

Nooo... It was done by a local radiator repair mob. The link is for alloy tanks.

I would have liked to have kept the original appearance (black outside), too, but the internal rusting is insane. I just hope it doesn't damage the new electric pump I've fitted.

Cheers

Ian.