free hit
counters
Clunky? - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Clunky?

Hello...

I'm loving my new Esprit V8 although still getting used to it, the power delivery is so much different from my TVR - lots of fun!

Question (or worry), when it's on full lock and creeping forward I get a clunk noise from the front, can also feel it through the steering wheel. The only other time I have felt something like this on another car was a Skyline which had a performance Limited slip diff to take the 600bhp.

Any ideas?? The car has a full years gold warranty but don't want to take it in if there's nothing wrong with it.. Car was also serviced before I picked it up, am sure someone would have noticed :-)

Thanks for any help!

Bucks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forwards on full lock is not a nice experience with a V8.

All sorts of noises as the tyres struggle for grip with the extreme geometry.

Are you sure its not just that, rather than a mechanical clunk?

If it really is mechanical I would suspect the suspension bushes.

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=13757

Pls see above, it's the Anti-Ackerman steering geo and is perfectly normal :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks for the quick feedback, this was appreciated, I can relax now!

Can't wait to get it out and about around Edinburgh this weekend, am loving the attention esp people taking pictures with their camera phones whilst in traffic.......

wish the weather would get better though!

It's only right to be concerned about every bump and squeak in your new P&J. Have fun at the weekend :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I can second that Bucks - its normal but keep an eye on tyre wear. Mine makes a hell of a racket on my sealed block paving drive as I manouvre it about to get it in the garage. Its tyre scrub. The upside is how it feels on the fast sweeping A and B roads in Fife - sweet, very sweet.

I'll be heading over to Edinburgh sometime this weekend - I'll keep an eye out for you.

ps - photos?

Edited by hedgerley

They will be fine, the car is meant to clunk due to skipping wheels on full lock.

Evora NA

This is also the first thing I noticed last year when mine arrived home. It will always be there, nowt to get worried about at all.

Happy motoring. :)

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

:) Mine too! Last time the wife was in the car there was a right rumpus from the front as I reversed off the path. The "oh no, what now does this mean no Christmas present this year" face that accompanies the phrase: "Is that normal?" is absolutely worth the admission price on its own!!

Considering everything else that needs considering, the turning circle of the Esprit is incredibly tight and one of the things that makes the car much more practical than people think. The price is this judder.

:) Forgive me for suppressing a laugh at the sound of the phrase: "I can relax now" ! All I can say is that it is worth it, but oh boy are these cars problem children sometimes !!!