free hit
counters
Exhaust Manifold Studs & Nuts - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exhaust Manifold Studs & Nuts

Before I order the necessary hardware to reinstall my exhaust manifold is it best to go for stainless steel studs & nuts?, as I believe was standard on turbo engines. Or just stainless steel studs with copper nuts?

Thanks

Gavin

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I bought some new studs for my S2, JAE advised I use the turbo ones. Note that they are a bit longer than the old ones making getting the manifold on and off with the engine still in the chassis a bit trickier.

The main thing is to put lots of Copaslip on them when you fit the nuts.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I used ones from ARP (stainless). Extremely strong and so far working great. Has 10mm (wrench size) twelve point nuts making them easier to install. Very nice but pricey. Go to their website and search for metric stainless.

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Or use ones from the Jag V6 Diesel (Ralph ascertained they fit :) ) I cannot remember if they're steel or stainless steel, but copper nuts, and have a Torx type head so you can screw them into the head and out with realative ease.

I would have thought the cooper nuts would be too soft or am I missing something? lol I recently bought some Permax Nickel Anti-seize which is good up to 1315 deg.C where cooper slip is good to 1100 deg C. Don

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

HI Gavin,

I think that ARP are very expensive, take a look here: Ebay number 250355087492

Very good and cheap, just bought and they are very well made.

Cheers

Giorgio

Edited by ghe67

Giorgio-

Thanks so much for the ebay link. Would I need M6 or M8 nuts for these manifold bolts. I have an 84 Turbo Esprit (if it makes a difference).

Am going to try and do my manifold without removing the engine!

Thanks,

Matt

Giorgio-

I looked in my parts manual, and it takes the M8 nuts...only other question, flanged, or the regular ones?

Thanks!

Matt

HI,

In my opinion would be better to use good quality copper nuts with Copaslip with washer.

Ask to the seller to prepare a kit with the 12 studs and washer instead of the parts not required.

He's very kind and helpful, you can find copper nuts everywhere.

Cheers

Giorgio

Edited by ghe67
HI,

In my opinion would be better to use good quality copper nuts with Copaslip with washer.

Ask to the seller to prepare a kit with the 12 studs and washer instead of the parts not required.

He's very kind and helpful, you can find copper nuts everywhere.

Cheers

Giorgio

What is the benefit of using copper nuts?

Thanks!

Matt

2008_0517lotus0017.jpg

These S/S studs, nuts and locking tabs are a class act, check them out in the restoration section. " s3 restoration starting soon " its some of the last posts. Not cheap, but you any get what you pay for.

I must crack on with this car, i,ve been on Hillys low traction incline for too long, I MISS YOU GUYS

Have gone with stainless steel studs with copperised locking nuts and ordered from SJ's. You know even with shipping to the USA it came out almost $100 cheaper to buy from Steve than buying from a USA retailer, example: st/st washer USA Retailer Price: $1.17 SJ's Price: $0.11 & locking nut,copperized USA Retailer: $3.09 SJ's Price: $0.48

The $ is quite strong at the moment which of cause helps.

This is the 2nd time I have ordered from Steve and on stuff that is easily shipped he has saved me a bundle.