free hit
counters
Coincidence or something more sinister? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Coincidence or something more sinister?

simonf

I had some tenants move out of a property leaving a perfectly good mountain bike behind. They had moved back to poland and obviously couldn't take it. It wasn't a mega expensive one with flash suspension and disk brakes, just two wheels a frame and a seat. This friday I thought, well waste-not-want-not! i was just going to dump it but the bike will be ideal for pedaling to the local tesco express when i have run out of beer after having a few! So i decided to put it in the back of my Audi and take it home!

The boot of the Audi is quite compromised due to is four wheel drive system and the mountain bike only just fitted in, but once i had finally negotiated this hurdle i was so chuffed that i forgot that i had left my parcel shelf leaning against the wall and drove off. I remember thinking to myself "well thats a bit of a result - a free mountain bike" and i was chuffed to find out that everything worked on it!

On Sunday morning i realised my mistake and drove straight back to the property to see if it was still there! It was not! I thought to myself why would someone take a parcel shelf for a car that they most likely don't have, and even if they did have the same car, they more than likely would have there own parcel shelf wouldn't they? I mean it would be a very lucky man indeed that was walking down the street and just happened upon a parcel shelf for his exact car when all he needed was that very same parcel shelf!!

Anyway slightly anoyed I went home and thought to myself maybe the shop who owned the wall had taken it inside because it looked unsightly, so i returned first thing monday morning but no the shop had no knowledge of the said parcel shelf!

I phone Audi up to enquire into the replacement cost and it was a staggering

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be hard to have any legal or ebat recource IMO. The bloke that has it did not properly steel it out of a car. He found it laying on the ground where there were no people. Sure, he prob should have left it, but the story has a ring of truth and would be hard to fight. Another side is that the guy selling maybe did not find it. He could have placed it on ebay for someone else? Prob. not... but how do you prove it?

On the flip side, if you go get it in person... well, how you hadle it... that's up to you, but I am sure if you watch Goodfellas a couple times you'd get some ideas? Hehehe...

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Fair point well made! Bit of a difference, my tenants signed a contract stating that anything left behind at the termination of the contract becomes the property of the landlord unless an agreement has been made, also the contract states that i can deduct a fair and proportionate charge for the disposal of said items! Which as i have taken the bike, i have not charged which i see as fair enough don't you!

The thieving little barsteward who took my parcel shelf had signed no such contract!! :)

I do see the the funny side of this situation and i am being very tongue in cheek about this! I really wouldn't take it any further even if it did turn out to be mine as life is too short! Just curious as to know whether i could!

Look out for my next ebay item - i going into a very nice little line in mixed wheel trims!!!

Edited by Kimbers

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Cycle over to the seller and pick up your parcel shelf on your new mountain bike.

Maybe the last tenants were not truthful and moved locally, not back to Poland and they went back to pick up their bike and found some tatty old cardboard/carpet parcel shelf in it's place so took that in order to sell it and make some cash towards a new bike!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If we'd known about this before I'd have outbid you on the parcel shelf on principle, bike thief! :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I am a little surprised by some peoples responce on this, it seams to me that some people have taken a "you had it coming" attitude because it took a bike that had been left and was in the way and because of that somehow i deserved to have my parcel shelf taken and sold.

Well i have two things to say about this really.

1) In this day and age of recycling, have i not just saved the planet of yet more landfill (for the time being anyway!) I wouldn't have paid

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

We do have the offence of 'Theft by Finding' in this country. You'd have to prove that it definitely is your shelf though.

Bear in mind we also have anti-littering laws in this country, too. Make sure you're not going to be charged with that, or even flytipping, by your previous actions...

:P

I am a little surprised by some peoples responce on this, it seams to me that some people have taken a "you had it coming" attitude because it took a bike that had been left and was in the way and because of that somehow i deserved to have my parcel shelf taken and sold.

I think people are seeing the funny side and the replies are a little more tongue in cheek than that. I wouldn't take offence Simon... unless you have a guilty conscience about taking the bike :P

Simon....guilty conscience.....

Those words just don't fit together! :P

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

situation was yourself.

Let it go! (And many apologies if I'm offending you, its only my 2p)

Its alright Mat, at least i know where to park the mountain bike when i have finished with it :P

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

It's a good job I haven't started ripping into Simonf yet.

Simon, if you wanted to you could inform the police of your loss, give details of the item including identification, and tell them of the coincidence, see it they are interested. Their presence and questions could prompt the person to realise they found it and forgot to hand it in.

Nice idea andy but truth be known, we all know the boys in blue wouldn't be interested in the slightest! They are only interested in my parcel shelf (and the rest of the car) when it hurtles past them at 110!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Hi Simon,

You'd be right to think this was your parcel shelf but unfortunately if when you get it and see the mark on the shelf, it will be near impossible to prove it was yours in the first place. Unless you had previous photographic evidence then it's the case of 'you win some, you lose some'. If the seller is located as a neighbour of where yours went missing then you could have a word with them and ask how they came across it? It's a long shot but if you don't ask then you won't know.

I once had my car jacked up and the alloys stolen and car left buried in the tarmac many years ago. I gave the police a very desciptive report of the alloys with tell tail marks on them which weren't just wear and tear marks plus the make of the tyres (as they were odd tyres). A month later I saw them on a car and rang the police with the registration of the car. They contacted the owner and briefly impounded the car which I thought was a result! Then the police came back and said that the owner said he bought them off a guy in a pub for sach and had no receipt. I though people in soaps or the Bill only came up with this feable excuse but it worked. The police gave back the car and let the owner keep the wheels. They said to me that even though I had described each wheel and tyre and they knew they were mine, that this eveidence wouldn't stack up in court.

I later found out who the owner was to try and get my wheels back another way but found out that the car belong to a notorius family who you would want to mess around with!

Dave Walters

Simon. You were a burk, but we've all left things behind (like the woman I saw driving away from Waitrose last week with her handbag on top of the car). But like Mat said u were up on the deal so no harm no foul.

I would tell the guy I was collecting the item though and then pick up everything outside his house as you walk away. When he says "Oh what are you doing", you can reply, "You know how you came by my parcel shelf well I'm doing the same".....then run!!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I'm intrigued why the diligent little opportunist parcel shelf lifters hadn't made a move on the mountain bike which had clearly been up for grabs for the previous few weeks...... :P

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

If you find something that looks lost you are meant to hand it in to the police who hold it for several weeks. If the rightful owner does not come forward to claim it, it becomes yours. I did this once with a necklace I found. Haned it in , went back about six weeks later and it became mine :P Just becasue something is left on your property doesnt mean it is yours to take, the owners may have been sending someround to collect the bike and you took it, so they took your parcel shelf.

Ask yourself. Would it have been polite and fair to phone/ text the previous tenants to confim if they wanted to give you the bike ?. Its only 2 mins effort.

As for your shelf , some scrote has helped themselves to it and put it on flea-bay.

Overall I would have said its a draw. Lesson learned.

Alex.

of course, you left it outside exposed to the elements and possible damage,

so by storing it for you and for (to them) an unknown period they actually potentially provide you a service.

... of course, since you didnt leave your name, their only hope was to use market forces to return it to its rightful owner...

therefore, perhaps your paying them

Try this one, works for me!

:P