free hit
counters
how about making a body kit for the Esprit - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

how about making a body kit for the Esprit

ok....one often sees some very wild body designs to replace the original look of an existing vehicle.

of course, I ma not talking about making a MR2 into a Lambo.

the design must be innovative and original.

a good example is the Veliside RX-7 body kit,

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh82/esprithk/road02.jpg

since I have the software to do 3D design, I am thinking about making a car body design, using the

chasis of my Lotus Esprit S4.

anyone thinks this is a good idea?

how many "hardcore" Esprit fan thinks this action will ruin an already beautiful car?

since my car is in the shop now, I want to ask the guy to give me some measurements on the connecting joins

and other critical components that restricts my design.

Edited by esprithk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does the name veilside make my body crawl at even the mere thought.

Perhaps its because i've seen far to many automotive cartastrophes on www.barryboys.co.uk

Ok i'm all for adding a few personal touches and even improvements, as long as the overall look does not overtake the original design.

My opinion but you have a beautiful car.

Waynef

NO.

It's akin to artexing the sistine chapel.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Eric

I got 3D design software and I can design using surfaces or solids BUT designing something like a body or a body kit is not as easy as you may think and thats before you have started tryting to make it. I have seen some peoples efforts and that would lead me to beleive leave well alone Hahah.

Well if you are into trying to do this I would say you get your design and then when you are happy with it offer it to the forum for our thoughts....thats all I will say. Dont get me wrong I am really not trying to be negative but I just think its easier to make Frankenstein!! lol

Buddsy :P

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Hi, thx for the feedback.

my idea is to make an open top car. it won't be anything left to remind it as an Esprit.

the shape is similar to sportscars fro 24Hrs LeMan + the following Citroen concept car

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/10/citro...-turismo-5.html

Edited by esprithk

socal450,

actually, there are many cases of someone who made unique Ferrari,

such as,

Ferrari P4/5 (based on a Ferrari Enzo)

Vandenbrink Design GTO (based on a Ferrari 599)

Ferrari Mythos (based on a Ferrari Testarossa)

I am quite suprised that no designer has actually done any unique work on a Lotus Esprit

to others,

I want to do an unique car based on the chasis of the Esprit, not trying to remake certain racing version, or

a new Esprit concept

I want an open top car since I do not need to worry about assembly of roof and door windows.

plus, it helps the cooling

I only need to focus on giving it an artistic & smooth bodyline

anyway, I notice many modern cars have borrowed the design of the Audio R8 (note the front fender and all the intake holes), that's including the latest Citroen GT concept *see picture in the earlier posting

the design trend now is to give a vehicles alot of sharp angles.

example, the latest Lamborghini Reventon

Edited by esprithk

AH!!! now that is different I thought you wanted to tack on ugly spoilers and the like.

The P4/5 is very cool but it cost something like $2million!!

Good luck

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

So....

Let me get this straight.....

You want to take a perfectly good S4 Esprit, take the body off and replace it with a monstrocity..?

God that makes me want to jump on a plane, fly to where you live and bop you one in the nose......!!!!

WHY OH WHY would you do such a thing...??

Has ANYONE EVER managed to do this well..??

All I've ever seen are complete f*** (notice self moderated!) ups.

If you need any tips, tune into Chop Shop UK. Them guys can give you some pointers to doing a good job...!! :)

Seriously mate. You've got an S4.... It's loverly.... Don't do anything stupid....

You will regret it!!!

Chunky Lover

The reason many of us on here sound a little...less then in favour of things like this is because there are so many people on here start a thread about such projects. The cars get stripped down and then thats the last we hear of the project. The car gets abandoned I am sure in many cases. There are a copuple of people who got a project finished but its much easier to start aproject then to finish one. In my eyes the standard Esprit is such a pretty and exotic design anyway it seems a little pointless. I myself am rebuilding an Esprit to original spec on a car thats just had little use over the last few years and I am finding that to be lots of work. An engine change or body change project would take much more time and effort.

Any ways I leave a few pics of a car that had a body mod to be a open top, is this the kind of look you were after....

2360_1.jpg

35ae_1.jpg

2932_1.jpg

13f2_1.jpg

Buddsy :)

Edited by Buddsy

If you have the budget (I would expect at least

Edited by oneshot
Removed unnecessary text - repeated 3 times!

Amateurs built the Ark

Yea now thats nice but I dont think any of us are that skilled if you are not doing it for a day job!!!

You would probly be better going for an ally bodied skin than a GRP one too. I know a guy who makes replica 50s Massers. He buys a 70s car and build using the chassis and engine then forms an ally body on top. Much cheaper way to go but I think he still gets

Tut tut tut.

Do I need to say anymore.

Go for it matey don't listen to these guys.

And as for veilside kits looking crap I think my misses would disagree, (off to find a pic of her car, that will also kick the esprits ass on speed aswell)

Good luck

Edited by Kimbers
Duplicated post

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

• 2 weeks later...

well...HK regulation is not that serious as to redo a "crash test".

*also, Esprit body is just a fiber glass kit to bolt on top of a chasis.

so I am thinking the possibility to change (redesign) a new fiber glass body.

during the process of design, I must consider to keep spaces for radiators and other cooling systems,

and to keep the same space for the original engine/transmission (nothing changes here)

the designer includes the redesign of the interior

yes, the body will be expensive because it is only one car but since I am in China.

There are factory and cheap workers to do this

Edited by esprithk