free hit
counters
V8 spring rate-length info - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Che,

Got you PM, I'll respond here for everyone's reference.

The springs and rates selected for my car were based on using a different shock. I can't recall right now the exact lengths I went with but I pretty positive they were 2.50" dia. springs. The length at the front is fairly critical for the shocks I used, to allow proper adjustment and to actually fit. The rears were less critical. I recently changed the rears to higher rates after some track time. I think they were 500#F and 450#R. Seemed to work well, but the shock valving adjustments f/r can manipulate how they felt quite drastically on track.

Paul

Thanks Paul----So the diam is 2.50"

I will research the length.

Other consideration: I know the stock spring rate is pretty good otherwise Lotus will not use it.

I'm thinking just replacing the shocks & use the stock rate. I'm leaning toward a double adjustable Alloy Protech.

I'm a bit hesitant to alter the rate and re-invent. The car is mainly use for street. What do you think?

Che,

I wanted to lower my "G" car (1983) so I did it on the cheap by cutting the springs. The first inch wasn't that bad but the extra 3/8" increased the spring rate too much resulting in a harsh ride and noticeable bump steer. I found a replacement spring that matches the the stock spring rate that I only need to add a small spacer to get the ride height I want. I will be checking the bump steer and seeing if I can adjust the rack to compensate.

Bottom line.... If you like the ride quality you have now stay with the same spring rate.

My 2 cents,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com