free hit
counters
Anybody Else Drive Their Esprit Today? - Topics - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Anybody Else Drive Their Esprit Today?

Just trying to rouse more than the usual Canadians from their winter hibernation.

Since the roads were clear, and the general opinion is that Esprits do not like to sit, I have been working hard to get the car out with less than 30 days between drives. Got her out today for 15 miles (30 minutes) on clear roads, -6 degree weather. My last drive was on December 29th. While it is true that the car is accumulating a (very) small amount of salt on her, I figure this is better than letting it sit for 4 months...

Anybody else trying this craziness?

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope !! Are you why they call us Crazy Canucks? Even if the roads were clear, I'd be fearful of road salt and gravel.....

And if you look under "Esprit 'Project and Restoration' Room", under "Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup" - you'll see Mark's, Garry's, and Dave's hard work, and some good reasons why I don't have my cars on the road this winter!

Just back from an enjoyable evening drive here in Sydney, with a balmy temperature of around 24deg. And I didn't go over the speed limit anywhere, honest officer. Then again some corners at the speed limit are mucho fun as well as some questions from other motorists about what make of car I was driving.

DanR

Nope !! Are you why they call us Crazy Canucks? Even if the roads were clear, I'd be fearful of road salt and gravel.....

And if you look under "Esprit 'Project and Restoration' Room", under "Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup" - you'll see Mark's, Garry's, and Dave's hard work, and some good reasons why I don't have my cars on the road this winter!

Wow, John, that is an interesting project! I wish I had seen it before (due to feelings of inadequacy, I tend not to venture in to the restoration room too much, lol), as I could have loaned the timing belt tools to you guys instead of Mark renting them from Richmond Auto. It is great to see that level of talent out there with Mark and all the guys... too bad I don't live in the 'Hat!

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Gary and I drove John's S4 out to his Hangar on the 31st of January (yesterday) in -6 or so... :)

Oh yeah... and we drove the V8 (without heat) in -30 last year... the entire highway was pure ice all the way.. now that... that was fun! LOL... if you call fun, not being able to keep the darn car straight on a straight road because of a slightly loose (and oddly reacting) throttle cable!

And.. finally.. shitty that I didn't know you had the proper timing tools!! That would have saved a couple hundred bucks! Thanks for the offer too!!!!!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Yeah, sorry about that. I bought them off eBay in November, along with a couple of timing belts, as a package deal. Thought they might come in handy some day, and it would have been great to have had them used. Even the timing belts, actually, which will probably go bad before I need them.

belts likely won't go bad... the reason they have trouble over time when they are installed is the extreme temperatures and the "moulding effect" they have around the cam gears... Should be fine if you store them indoors.

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Thanks for the info, Mark. I'll fly you in to do my next timing belt change! :P

I'm game for that.. I could visit with some relatives while I'm there. :getmecoat:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.