free hit
counters
New Dyno Results 1-29-2009 Lotus Esprit 2000 V8 - Page 2 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New Dyno Results 1-29-2009 Lotus Esprit 2000 V8

Bloody hell. Dizzy just reading some of those figures. Glad I don't have spare time and cash on my hands otherwise my Esprit would be getting bits removed and upgraded like crazy.

Keep up the posts guys it will be really interesting to see the differences and especially the tweaks that make all the difference.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll have to interpolate the math necessary on my flow bench.. always calculated for CFM... (I'm not an engineer, so the equations aren't readily available in my head)... I should be able to fire up the old "home built" flow bench next weekend and see what the readings are for the intercoolers alone.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 2 weeks later...
Chris, are you sure it's a factory High Tq reflash and not a Johan High Tq/Red hybrid reflash? That A/F looks alot more like a Johan code than a Lotus HT code.

For wastegates, here's another option:

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/prod...=188&page=1

Also, whos Final Edition did you drive? I can see how you felt such a big difference. A well-running Final Edition should dyno ~ 345rwhp and ~ 290rwtq. So eventhough you have less power, you also have more tq at lower rpms due to the higher boost. Although I would also add that most of the Final Editions I've seen lately were not running at their full potential, but they are now though. lol

you talkin bout me!??!?!

thems is fightin words, let's go Mendoza! I'll see you on the road...the road behind me

:) Relax killer. Yes you are one of them but I meant it as a good thing. You car was not running right, now it is. What's wrong with that lil Kirk? (I kidding :animier: )

... but whenever you wanna do this, we can do this. :sick:

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

I'm neetly machining my little pistons, fabbing the intercoolers and intake. And I almost forgot, gluing those pesky waste gates shut (should I use Elmer's or that new Gorilla glue?) I saw my beautifull new GT2871RS turbos with the .48 housings the other day, they do look nice. But the monster Elise comes first (it will easily beat that "other poor running final edition Esprit" that is out there) :rant:

How do you think he got all that rust in his exhaust? Do you think it might have come from the driver :)

Since we are on the topic of performance chips, etc. Who sells the best Hi-Torque ECM upgrade. I was hoping to by it directly from Lotus but it didn't seem to be available online. Who else is out there?

It's the ECU used in the Sport350 and Final Edition cars.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Looking at the PUK Esprit Racing site, I am narrowing it down to Chip #1 : High Torque Sport 360 ECM upgrade. I honestly don't want or need more power (gasp) and based on the reviews it seems to help driveability. Anybody know of any reason I should go with Chip #2 : High Performance ECM upgrade instead?

On another note, I thought I read that the US spec final Editions didn't get the upgraded ECU. Did I misread that?

Is the Hi-torque ECM upgrade simply a reflashing of the original computer or does it require a complete computer change? Been contemplating this upgrade over the winter. Is any lotus garage capable of doing this and what are the costs?

Steve

Johan's must also be soldered in (not easy to do.) I have experiance with all of these ecu's i.e; Real Factory "RED" one currently in my 97, My final edition U.S. car (which DOES HAVE the high torque map), my former stock 98, PUK's race "red" chip was later installed in my final edition car & I drove 2 other V8's with Johan's chip.

My conclusion is this: The "final edition" or "sport 350" map is the best in every way and your local dealer can simply download it to your car (as long as your car is NOT a 1997) That is why my 97 has the Factory race ecu. A very close second is Johan's map (I am still unsure which I like best & I do have Johan's chip which I will be testing in a few months - very indepth.) Markus's "red" map FEELS & BEHAVES exactly like my 97 Lotus "Race/Red" ecu. (at least that is according to my butt. :) )

So going with the sport 350 or final edition map, what does it all change? Like mainly just the boosting issues that the stock ecu cuts in 1st and 2nd?

Steve

I wish I knew. I think W.O.T. boosting in 1st & 2nd are the same. It just feels more powerful and torquey everywhare. I believe it has more to do with timing and fueling than it does with boost. Feels more like it gains some displacement (engine size) than it does boost.

Again, I will be doing a lot of testing in the comming months to find out (once and for all!) what is going on. Give me till about May - June. . .

I will be very interested to see how the sport 350 map or any other map works with an intercooler setup... The fuelling necessities should be significantly different than anticipated by the lotus tuning. I would expect you could lean out quite a bit more than the factory race tunes do and gain quite a bit of power doing so... then again.. we do have that thing attached to the motor that has had a habbit of exploding under too much torque... so maybe it's not necessary to tune to the outer limit. :)

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Definately keep us posted on the comparison. I will probably be going in for my annual service in a few months and if it is worthwhile I will have the dealer download the "final edition" map. If not I will get Johan's Chip #2 upgrade and do it myself.

It is absolutely worth the download <_<

You would also think the timing would get waaaaay too advanced when I screw the wastegate shut and make approximately 20lb. of boost. . . yet it just gets faster and will not pre-detonate with good race fuel? I feel the ecu has a very capable "read & correct" factor built in. We will see . . .

You're hitting 20lbs???? Good god! Are you already intercooled? Cause that's incredible! You must be pushing close to 550hp with that much boost?

• Gold FFM

My question on all that "..my car gets xxlbs of boost.." poll is as follows:

How would the ECM know that there is an different Map sensor range in the engine harness !? If we have an pre set volt difference on the stock sensor for low and high pressure, than there must be some reference of that in the Eproms, thats clear. Bud if an other (for example an 3bar sensor) simply does have an different gradient on Ohm-resistance, than the min/max values on point of Ohm-resistance could be the same as on the stock ones ? So how can an ECM know that for example 3 Ohm/xx volt output is exactly xx bar plenum pressure. Or is 3 Ohm/xx volt output always the same pressure and the 3 bar sensor just goes up to an wider Ohm range !?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

What I did is VERY frowned upon & will require much typing to explain. I am dead tired so. . . tomarrow. I actually saw 26 psi. on the guage as it was just "T" 'd into the line. No idea the real hp. I guessed at 550 whp. how knows?? I did do one drag race with the car on a 30F night with a old style G-Tech in the car. It hit 60 in 3.3 sec. and ran the quarter mile in 10.8 @ 148mph!!

It had Michelin PS2 tires (295 not 285), Cats were just hollowed out, K&N filters, no spare tire or engine cover and I always ran highly oxigenated VP. Motorsport 109 unleaded race gas. Thats it. Wastegate adjuster rod was simply taken off at the end and turned shorter, then pulled or stretched back on (really had to pull hard with a plyers). At that point, the wastegate was nearly locked shut. The car is a final edition car with all else stock. This will eventually lead to broken pistons but mine lasted for 19,000 miles! Never had any tranny, clutch or axle issues with any of my 3 Esprit V8s.

How it does this, is what I am now going to figure out!!!!!! <_<