free hit
counters
918 copy, and other V8 engine triva - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Günter

918 copy, and other V8 engine triva

while you're in the university you can get curious detail informations:

BILD0526.JPG

This article out of an engineering magazine show some 'highly inovative' details of the Corvette engine block. I wounder if this main bearing cap design is just an simple cxopy -or mere chance

Other interesting views of last week are those into an Itallian engine:

DSC00163.JPG

DSC00164.JPG

DSC00165.JPG

what i can see is, the intermediate drive for the cams does not need an chain drive -that is just for the oil pump (and designed with some type of hydraulic/spring assysted chain guide)

The top deck face looks stiffer, bud the liners are 'sealed' on the same strange way -I would not wounder if Ferrari does also use Hylomar 3400 !?

An other tought is: why the hell is it not possible to ad an grove into the cylindrical block section, around the base for the liner. In the same way it is done in every ordinary truck engine with wet liner system. The liner would still get his support by the block , but the sealing with an o-ring looks more effective in my eyes...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here's my thought on the o-ring of the liner... the liner in a truck block has a long stroke and a lower compression ratio... Now my guess is that the liners are thicker on truck blocks and there is more support at the base of the liner no? Anyhow, I suspect that the hylomer is used because of excessive cylinder pressures and "wobble" at higher rpm... thus, an o-ring would not be sufficiently durable? Just a guess... and as for the corvette engine... didn't lotus have their hand in the design of that engine?

Just a guess... and as for the corvette engine... didn't lotus have their hand in the design of that engine?

Lotus certainly did. They did the LT5 engine that went in the Corvette ZR-1.

the article is about the actual corvette ZR-1 'ohv' engine, right !? It's the traditional one -not what we in Europe think when it goes to *ZR-1*

the 'modern' ZR-1 nowadays is just an higher power output version (with an additional compressor). Not an totally different engine design, as it was in the early 90th with it's Lotus designed/Mercury production DOHC -engine

Edited by G

From what I've seen, every high hp GM V8 after the LT5, such as the Northstar (most simillar), and the LSx series, have some simillarities to the Lotus V8. I think the LT5 was a learning experiance for both GM and Lotus. Lotus found what worked and applied it to their V8. GM did the same and is still applying those principals.

Edited by gmendoza

so , in that context, we can say the 918 its still an relatively modern engine :)

I's bad that there is no money and background on side of Lotus cars to apply it for actual car concepts

:D