free hit
counters
ABS in snow and ice - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Does ABS somehow trip-out in excessively slippery conditions?

Mine did yesterday and again today. After switching off the ignition, normal service was resumed. In icy conditions, ABS is near-lethal because there is little or braking effect so I was wondering if there was some sort of flogging-a-dead-horse-type override in the system. Alternatively, might the behind-the-hub sensors have been contaminated with snow and slush?

Of course in the dry and especially wet conditions, ABS is superb but in snow and ice . . . well, that's another matter.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ABS works well in ice and snow. Much easier to drive with abs than without. You can steer when braking and so on.

In dry conditions no need abs. Looks like you need strudded winter tyres also in UK. :)

If you spin your rear wheels to much (with an full standstill in front, or with different rotation-numbers on the wheels) the ABS does sometimes think there is an implausible signal -and it set an code. That was also on my car, in the time as it was my only car that runs (as it was an full-season car). After work i used it regularly to have some fun in the wintertime on short runs across parking lots (or more realistic for 'drifting'). I think there is an note about "excessive" wheel spin in the ABS section of the workshop-book ...

@Jukka:

do you really have some sort of 'winter tyre' on both ends of your car ?? I think there is still no winter-profile type available in 235/40-17 across the www. tire-dealers :-/

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thanks Gunter.

This ties in exactly with what was happening. I live and work in Sheffield, England, and like Rome, Sheffield is built on seven hills.

Hills, snow and wide low-profile tyres are not the best of combinations. I spent much of Monday and Tuesday of this week with the rear wheels turning much more then the fronts - as you say, good fun - so the ABS ecu could, understandably, have produced a safety-produced error code.

I'll look in my Brakes Supplement when I get home tonight.

Incidentally, I enjoy your authoritative contributions. What is your background/training?

Best wishes.

Ok, something like that may happen when fronts are standing and rears are turning fast.

@Gunther

I don't have winter tyres in Esprit. It's not my daily car and I don't drive it on very slippery conditions.

"..authoritative contributions..." WHAT!?

<_<

OK, on the other side of the channel I'm more known for stupid posts -just ask jimmibondy

prior to '92 ->the only thing i was allowed to work on is bicycles and toy cars

from '92-'96 ->specialized training 'to chop heavy metal', and fix trucks & cars -or parts of an truck/car

from '96-'05 ->now legalized work as an 'professional' (idiot) -still the same company and the same old type of work... . Only one interruption: '96/'97, my type of 'duty for the community' and guess what -as military truck service technician ...hurray :-/

'05 up till now -> automotive engineering student, so you can say I'm pretty much focused [or on the other hand 'totally onesided']

;-)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..