free hit
counters
location of fuel switch on s4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

location of fuel switch on s4

hello everyone. i hav elooked to see if the fuel switch has tripped on my s4, in teh book it shows it in the engine bay along with a set of relays, i have removed the cover and in there is a large piece of foam with some black electrical item in there, looks like it should be there as the foam is custom fit looks nothing like relays etc, did they move it as it also shows it in the parts manual - confused

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're standing behind the vessel, looking at the engine, it's on the right of that relay box, it's red, and it sticks out the top. No need to remove the relay box to see it/reset it. In your case, though, I really have no idea what's going on. Is there a rogue hole where it should be?

im looking at the engine,on the right above the wheel arch is small relay box (i know its not that one.) just before the engine there is a cover with 3 screws in i have removed this cover and no relays in there just a large piece of foam which opens up and then there is some kind of electrical item in there (looks almost like a pump of some sort) nothing looking like what the manual shows.

found it in the service notes right hand top of engine bay

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

do u hear the fuel pump if not there should be a plug after the switch that u can jump or test voltage and c if the pump runs,

check plugs, fuel pressure and spark,

thanks tony, i will take the plugs out this evening and give them a clean, then test for spark then when i get a bit of time i will test the fuel pump etc

well i pulled the plugs, quite a bit oiled up, cleaned and put back in, still not starting, will look at fuel tomorrow, although i would think the pump was ok as it was drinking petrol the other day

Pete its easy to check for fuel pressure ,look for the shraeder valve on the fuel rail(probaly has a black plastic cap on it),depress valve carefully with ignition turned on and then off (just to give it a pressure head before it disapates),if it squirts out cloth in hand then fuel pump is probaly ok ,BUT i have been through 2 fuel pumps in as many years(see thread of pump melting connections through shorting),i also have a brand new pump assembly if you do need one.My symptons were as though the car was running out of fuel..........which in effect it actually was.

Cheers

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

thanks nick, the symptoms were it was using excessive fuel and felt like it was struggling until i realy got going. it ran out of petrol on the way home even though there was more than enough to get me back, put a can in and only just got me home, put another can in, to get the car off the road, car would not start the next day. i exchanged the 02 sensor (a new lotus one will be here soon as i just wanted to make sure the car started) car not start, 02 sensor sooted up plugs oily (could have been petrol though) cleaned plugs wont start, checked fuel switch wont start, pm me for details on the fuel pump if i need it as i should know on saturday morning, will be removing the catch tank tomorrow and checking the air filter to see if any oil there.

then its on checking the spark and fuel flow hoping its not something serious, dont understand how it would fire up, then next morning it wont

bz,

That is a diagram of the older models but I believe in December of '93 Lotus made a running change towards the end of the S4 production run and went to a "revised harness" and the relays were moved to the right rear wheelwell, the fuel switch to the right front corner of the engine bay and the vacuum pump now resides where the relays used to be.

Sounds like oogie's car is a "revised harness" model.

1995 S4s