free hit
counters
Clutch slippage problem - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Clutch slippage problem

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Felix,

The signs you have (= slipping + heavy pedal) are actually indicating a worn clutch. Are you sure that the PO actually replaced the clutch ?

Since the Esprit clutch is a fully hydraulic one, you wont have much chance to get more miles out of it by adjusting the realease fork.

Please check this adjustment/specs. Its 9-12mm. Please see the workshop manual Section QE, page 7:

"Release Fork Adjustment (4 cylinder cars)

On four cylinder cars, a threaded abutment in the end of the release fork must be set to a specified

dimension in order to accommodate the positional working range of the slave cylinder piston with both a new

friction plate, and a fully worn plate. The dimension specified allows the maximum permissible wear of the

friction plate to take place before the slave cylinder piston ‘tops out’ on its return stroke, causing release

mechanism preload and consequent clutch slip. This indicates that clutch replacement is necessary. A smaller

dimension would allow the friction plate to wear to the point where damage could be caused to the pressure

plate and/or flywheel, whereas a larger dimension would not fully utilise the friction plate material thickness.

Specification = 9 - 12 mm"

Cheers

Marcus

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, yes I am sure about the new clutch.. I have a copy of the invoice from the PO... It was done by Track V Road LTD out of Clitheroe. The Clutch kit was part #PNMQ0014. I will recheck the adjustment/specs also... but I am also leaning towards a worn clutch disk....

Cheers

Hey Felix, you should check adjustment at the pedal end too - I believe yours has an adjustable pushrod. It shouldn't be out, but you never know.

Best to do with the seat removed!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thanks, I will try a few other things tomorrow... It was strange... when I adjusted at the slave end to about 5mm. The clutch would engage very nicely and could shift through all the gears smoothly as will. .. But while driving along and hit the pedal, the clutch would slept and the engine would just rev until I slacked off. I also tried it at 10mm's before that and the clutch would not engage in any of the gears.. Maybe I have air in the line and is notpushing the rod forward far enough... I will check that as will... Or maybe it was a bad clutch that was put in... I will play more tomorrow... Thanks Felix

Edited by fsrowsell

Will I think I have everything cleared up....

I found my Service Notes and read through the section on the Clutch...

The first thing I noticed was the Locknut was on the wrong side of the release fork on the adjuster. I moved it to the correct side and measured of 12MM, according to the Manual. I then checked to see if my clutch would engage with the engine running, but no joy... The next step was to check the play in the pedal... The Manual said the pedal should just touch the carpet or 2-5MM from the GRP. My pedal was a long ways of from touching the carpet, so I adjusted that... Next I decided to bleed the system again with a little help from my daughter pushing the pedal to the floor while I worked the bleed nipple... After that it was time for a test run... I found no slippage at all, so I'm glad I don't have to get a new clutch just yet.... Thanks everyone for their input. Felix

Felix,

Only 8 posts and you have fixed a slipping clutch. Excellent work showing the quality and calibre of London members :) .

Trevor

I'll get around to it at some point.

Oh, and Felix, any other nice cars you wanna tell us about? :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

And very nice they are too :):yes::)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.