free hit
counters
Glass sunroof - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Glass sunroof

I cant believe I am the only one with this problem.

Recently bought and fitted new glass roof and fittings from SJ.

Fits well but the bl==dy thing rattles like mad when closed.

I have found the only way to stop it rattling when on the move is to un latch it but dont open it.

This is far from a perfect solution mind.

My original panel didnt make a sound.

Any suggestions before I take the whole lot to bits and start again. Or is it out with lots of silicone and glue it all together :)

Cheers

Neil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an elegant solution but the rubber seals aren't expensive and are very easy to fit.

A082U6123F - Weatherstrip, glass roof to body

A082U6055F - Weatherstrip, composite roof to body

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It's not quite as simple as that unfortunately. Although the weatherstrip will probably eliminate most of the rattles when new, the real problem is the car itself.

When manufactured, the sunroof aperture was trimmed with either a composite or glass roof in mind. The composite roofed cars had a couple of extra mm shaved off the lip that the weatherstrip slots onto.

With a combination of some spacers, some black mastic, the correct rubber gaskets at every surface face and some squishing, you can get rid of a good deal of the rattling but it will always be a compromise.

Thanks guys for the info.

I bought a new seal and all the necessary gaskets as Steve from Sj suggested.

The rattles come from the front "tongues" I suppose you call them (one either side of panel)

which slot into the holes in the roof. These were removed from the original panel and fitted using new seals gaskets etc. I can only assume that the height is ever so slightly different to the original panel and causes the rattle.

I have tried pushing up on the roof at the front whilst moving and I have to push hard to get it to stop.

I assume this will be one of these suck it and see jobs to sort.

Neil

There is a small amount of adjustment on the receptacles for the tongues, loosed the two fixings and try pushing the whole receptacle down slightly, it may result in the top of the tongue engaging with it better when the roof is closed, thus less rattle.

Andy

Seeing as alot of cars came with both roof panels, wouldn't the factory trim the opening to work for both? I have always had the glass roof installed on my car, but I do have the complimenting composite roof and seal in a bag in my closet.

• Gold FFM

wasn't there an internal service advice for the dealers !? It was to clear two cases in once: the water that can pass the front 'tongue' slots and run into the siderails (A-posts) and along the inner leather/alcantara surface and drops onto the seats. And the second was that rattle an noise: there is an advice to cover the tongues with plastic tape and open/unscrew the slots. Than you can use adhesive sealant like it is used many time on several body fixings and glue the slots in, fill the slots also from outside (from the side the tongues/latches gone in) with that adhesive. Setup your latches on the roof correctly an push it in. after the adhesive is dry and stable you have an perfect match in the slots (as you can peel up the tape, and therefore you can undo the roof and it is not glued together with the window frame..)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

When I bought my car I got the red FG roof panel as well, but no extra seal? Is it absolutely necessary? I must admit that it is a lot tighter to close the FG roof so I would suggest mine is set up for the glass roof and associated seal. Is the seal glued on or just a push on clamp fit?

Michael.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

'push on' clamp fit !

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..