free hit
counters
Driveshaft movement - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what to you mean with movement 'in the splined drive in the box' !?

Do you mean you can lift the whole driveshafts that are pushed onto the short splined halfshafts that come out of the box some *cm* -or can you move the short halfshafts itself (i mean the shafts who are associated to be part of the differential system..) those short shafts can move up and down a bit more if the bearings inside the gearbox have more free play over the years. And those shafts can spin forward and in the opposite turn if the free play of the crown an 'pin' gear itself is not set correctly.

If you mean the axles that are pushed into the gearbox (onto those short halfshaftes..) can spin, than you have the possibility of freeplay in one or both homocinetical joints -or the spline in the hub, -or the spline that connects to those short halfshafts from the gearbox.. .

It is normal that the homocinetical joints can get older over the drive distance. So you can feel some play in longitudinal direction, and if you turn the driveshaft by hand and use the brakes to hold the wheel. The splined section in the hub should be thight, as there is an central nut (with a load of 200Nm or so) on the end, and possibly some rust and dirt on the splines. The splines on the gearbox side can have slightly more free play than the wheel end, thats the reason why it is important to orientate the locking pin in the right way. There is an note in the workshop book that you should orintate the pins in an way that there is no load on them that 'squeezes' them if the driveshaft get torsional moments (as that means they can fall off..).

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

here you can see what supports your splined halfshafts inside..

There should be some freeplay (adjustable by the backlash shims and the nut on RH) to realize some movement between crown and pin gear, that is set to match the flanks of both gears. And you can adjust the play in those bearings with the adjustable 'crown-type' nut on the RH side. But i don't know what sort of match, or free-play is between splined half shafts and the differential body itself, or on opposite side the crown wheel body itself.. . There is only an note about the 'preload' of the crown-wheel/pin gear system in the workshop-book.

As there possibly is every time some free play and the spline is not really proven to hold back the oil -the 'o-ring' is an important point to hold the oil inside the box (so that it can not pass the splines an drop out of the 'locking pins' on the joints. So an leaking gearbox does not mean weak radial seals in general, there could also be that it passes the 'o-rings' ... .