free hit
counters
Front brakes seized on in garage - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I haven't used the car for about a month and always make sure that the brakes are dry and warm before garaging the car after washing it or if it has been wet when the car is out for a run.

As far as I can remember, the day I had it out was dry.

Due an MOT tomorrow so decided to give it a run today just to make sure everything was OK before taking it to the MOT station.

The car is a 2003 V8 with the original AP Racing calipers and original pads. There is still plenty of wear left on the pads and have only done 16,500 miles including 1 track day.

Question is how do I release the pads? I tried moving the car but left about 12 inches of black tyre marks on the garage floor and don't want to end up with square tyres.

Is there a workshop manual for my car and if so where can I get one?

Regards,

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First is to know if there is pressure in the brake circuits or if it is just the pads sticking to the discs?

AFAIK solenoid failures in the ABS could leave the circuit pressurised.

Is there a workshop manual for my car and if so where can I get one?

Regards,

Brian

The workshop manual for the V8 does not include the braking system. There is a separate annex with those details.

SJ should be able to help.

Do the simple thing first, get the wheel off, tap the pads (note PADS not calliper) in the edge with a small hammer so as to shock them free if it's rust that's holding them.

My rear ones are fine, don't bind or anything, unless the disc gets damp then the metal in the pads rusts onto the discs and sticks, a gentle push gets it free then it's fine and can be pushed with one hand again.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I did the simple thing first before posting the original topic but went back to the car and tried again and this time the pads released. Phew!

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Mark.

I did manage to free the brakes eventually and got the car over to MMC for MOT.

Thanks for the offer which I will bear in mind.

Regards,

Brian