free hit
counters
But it's raining, raining in my car... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

But it's raining, raining in my car...

Esprit's been smelling a bit musty of late and misting up a lot on the passenger side. I put it down to disuse as I just haven't had the time to drive it much. But we took it to work last Friday, and Tracy was none too happy at getting her feet and handbag soaking wet. :)

So, passenger seat out and assuming the position, I went in. Every bit of passenger carpet is soaked and stinking. Yanked it all out and it's currently hanging up to drain before I attempt to clean it and freshen it up. Took the underfelt up with a spoon, because it's the consistency of porridge - yuk. Drilled out the rivets and removed the inner sill panel too. Apart from lots of rust on the door hinge mounting, no evidence of water source anywhere! Checked drain tubes and they're OK. Not losing coolant and no antifreeze in the stinking mire. Running out of ideas!

Then, looking underneath I find a big hole in the side of the heater box which has been noshed - very badly - with some kind of mastic. In fact, I can poke several fingers into the box. I'm guessing someone broke in there to free a flap or something instead of the alternative and much more painful method.

Then, under the bonnet. Found that the drain adapter was mostly detached from the plenum under the heater flap. This would allow water to drop directly onto the blower motor, but wouldn't necessarily explain the deluge I've had. So, in the absence of any other evidence of leaks, this is my assumption:

The state of the drain adapter and heater box has been allowing a bit - not much - of water into the cabin. Recent heavy snow, which built up several inches on top of my intake grilles, slowly melted and deluged the motor area, transferring into the box. Driving the car sloshed it around and out of the box through the breach on the passenger side.

You can see I'm clutching at straws! Any other ideas?

Anyhow, some photos:

DSC_9931.jpg

DSC_9921.jpg

DSC_9929.jpg

DSC_9930.jpg

DSC_9923.jpg

DSC_9925.jpg

DSC_9928.jpg

DSC_9935.jpg

DSC_9934.jpg

DSC_9937.jpg

DSC_9938.jpg

DSC_9939.jpg

If this was any other car I'd be fuming! But Esprit problems always have a kind of warm, fluffy, cosy feel, don't you think? Or do I need therapy?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a theory, it's only a theory I haven't fully investigated it. (doesn't rain much here) If I park nose in facing down the gradient, I get water were you do. If I reverse in facing up the gradient (its not steep only 5-10 degrees) no water. My current theory is the two "female" thingamajigs for the sun roof leak, if the car slopes down water in the channel gets high enough to get in, park up the slope it will drain down the tailgate before it can get high enough. Having got into the front part of the roof lining, (fibreglass) it then drains down inside of the "A" pillar into the foot well.

That's my theory, have you parked the car differently? are the drainage channels clear? Let me know I'm interested, in the mean time I just park sloping up!

Roger :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I'll have a look, Roger, but I'm pretty level here - maybe a couple of degrees difference - and I'm parked nose down about 95% of the time, and haven't had a leak until the recent snowfall. I'll investigate. :)

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

It is not the two female holes for the sunroof tongues. It backflows over the sunroof seal into the car when nose is on the downward grade under a medium to heavy rain. You need a new sunroof seal. jp

I'd say sunroof man - i have had issues recently with a moist carpet behind passengeer seat.

nice of you to tidy the garage floor for the photos though. :)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

To clarify, the water is in the front passenger footwell only, and most concentrated forwards. The sunroof seal is perfect. There's absolutely no evidence of the source being above dashboard level.

The heater plenum drain adapter was almost entirely detached, so any excess water was falling into the heater motor area, and probably onto the motor casing itself. The plenum seal was good, so it's unlikely the water could have drained into the bonnet area, leaving only one way to go - somehow into the heater box. Heater box has a huge hole in it on the same side as the water damage.

This is all conjecture, however - I have no proof as yet but I can find no other explanation! Will attack it with a hose at the weekend.

Maybe an opportunity to fit that new carpet I wanted? :)

EDIT (as our posts crossed) Ah, Mr. Perry, if only I could have tidied the floor. Unfortunately all my useful space is occupied by a smelly, mildewed car cover. :(

Edited by sparky

Since we're being picky, I'm a little dubious of your tool selection in the 2nd photo. :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Ah, would that be the persuader, the gripping solution, or the retention device?

Roger, this isn't the first time you've commented on this subject. I can only assume you were interfered with by a club hammer at an early age. And probably a wing. :)

Nice Part - that is the matching binnacle/bonnet raiser in burnished yew a patented Lotus Part and i think one that SJ's do for

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Can anyone actually tell me what Mr. Perry's talking about? <_<

Edit: Ah, got it!

Roger, Watford Exotics can supply said part, handmade in the wood and inlay of your choice, for only

Edited by sparky

Bibs may be in touch to discuss that in detail with you, Roger. Be afraid...

i said blue neon - not max power makeover in two shades of gold...

SLEG_Rog.jpg