free hit
counters
Bush Insertion tool T000T0541F - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Simon350S

Bush Insertion tool T000T0541F

Simon,have you tried banging on the flange? :blush:

In fact the more I say banging on the flange the more it sounds like a small village in England.

ROFL and PMSL together,

flange what a fantastic word.

thanks punky, made my day. <_<

Edited by Alex --GT3--

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've been keen to read the latest bits of this thread, but daren't do so while at work.

Simon, I'd happily turn something down for you but as I don't know what it needs to look like I'm probably unable to help.

Andy

Do you have the facilities to make something to ease the head of your massive piece into this inviting cranny?

I'm assuming that the Lotus tool you mention is some sort of funnel/tapered implement? Could you manufacture a similar sized doohicky from a C shape of sheet metal? You only need something to fold the rim of your bush back on itself before it slips into the tunnel of fun.
A generous helping of automotive baby oil and some manful but accurate thrusting and Bob's your next door neighbour's cat sitter.

Mills and Boon would have trouble bettering that laugh.gif

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Alternatively,take a piece cut from an old baked bean can, get the length right, bend the ends at right angles, wrap it around the bush with plenty of the aforementioned lubricant and grasp the two projecting ends with mole grips. Probably best to cut it so that it will enter the hole in the link...then offer it up and whack 'em in!! I've used this system as piston ring compressors in the past...might work on bushes.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Can I just say that Flange is my all time favorite word :(

I fitted the PUK ones last year and as Jon said they are split in two so you can double penetrate the orifis without the need for lubrication of any kind. :o Is there any real benefit to the bush being in one piece other than someone trying to sell you a tool that dosen't seem to exist?

They have stiffened thinks up nicely, not difficult though considering the state of the rubber ones that came off.

Thanks guys and gals for all your help in inding this elusive tool!!!! Fat lot of good you lot are!!!

Anyways, heres one I made earlier!

DSC03589.jpg

DSC03592.jpg

Its got a shoulder to locate it onto the arm and a little notch to clear the weld with a tapered inner to help ease the bush on its way home..

They are a lovely snug fit and I'm a happy chappy!!

Chunky Lover

But you'll have to take the bushes out again for when the suspension are chromed, surely?

Back to the bush fitting tool...so now you've got one for everybody else to borrow?!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I'm guessing my lending of the tool to other individuals would help repay my debt to society after the weekends incidents :)

It ain't perfect dut it does the job and I'm happy with it

Once I've finished with all my bushes I've got no problem with others using it as long as its returned

Chunky Lover

Whilst not as nice as simons bush fitting tool ive just found the job can be done using the inner part of an old front wheel bearing which happens to have the same internal diameter as the rear suspension arms and has a rounded shoulder to help compress the edge of the bush. You just need to be careful as it doesnt locate over the suspension arm and hold in place like the one pictured above.

Looks like I'm too late to join in on the bush and lube talk...

BTW, Simon, you should stay away from the petroleum based lube, and only use silicone! I'll let you figure out where to use it now that you rammed the bush through... ;)

I suppose you could have used a piston ring compressor, if you had one that went down small enough to work as your particular bush insertion tool.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album