free hit
counters
Pulling away judder - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Pulling away judder

I think this is just me, but would appreciate confirmation and advice,

about 1 in 3 times I pull away from stopped I make the car judder badly, I add more trottle but am not sure this helps or it is too late, then it seems to settle. As it doesn't happen every time I assume it is me doing something wrong or not be gentle enough. I do try and drive very smoothly, although these pull aways are not smooth!

Would move revs before clutch movement help? I do try and not drive around like a chav revving hot hatcher... perhaps I do need more revs?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is just me, but would appreciate confirmation and advice,

about 1 in 3 times I pull away from stopped I make the car judder badly, I add more trottle but am not sure this helps or it is too late, then it seems to settle. As it doesn't happen every time I assume it is me doing something wrong or not be gentle enough. I do try and drive very smoothly, although these pull aways are not smooth!

Would move revs before clutch movement help? I do try and not drive around like a chav revving hot hatcher... perhaps I do need more revs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't want to be the kiss of death here, but that used to happen on my Supra (which had a race clutch fitted) just before the clutch gave up.

Drive the car along at 30 MPH in 5th and then floor it, see what the clutch does. if it's not slipping at all then your probably OK and it's just more practice with clutch control needed.

Edited by lrg_machine

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

Will try your suggestion, thanks, however crossing my fingers!

Was totally smooth on the way home, I 'think' (guess) its more to do with rev mismatch though, as I realised it can happen in other gears, usually low, on the change. Also my 1 in 3 was probably a bit harsh, perhaps 1 in 10, or maybe I am getting my feet sorted... ?

Its difficult to know when to worry, with a new car, I was like this with my Elise for the first 9 months, then I seemed to be more in tune with it. The initial rattles and squeeks seem to have gone away, of course they haven't but I have 'adjusted' to them!

On another point, my nose badge has no bolts on the underside, I heard they are rubber coated?!? Or shall I just replace with washers and nuts?

With the Esprit I've found you do need to give it a little bit of poke as you bring the clutch in to stop it stuttering (perhaps to about 2000 revs) just to get it rolling. Don't expect it to pull like the Elise which you can pull away in idle in 1st -> 2nd quite easily.

Rightly or wrongly I always blip the throttle when pulling away to overcome any potential embarrisments :D

Try the clutch thing but you might find there is a little hesitation on the throttle response, where does the car idle at ? Might also be worth checking the throttle position sensor on freescan to ensure you're getting the full range esp at lower end. Silly things to check - hand brake off and push the car....I've known people to complain about this kinda stuff only to find a sticking caliper on the hand brake :P

Really its impossible to advise without experiencing 1st hand, failing that, its a bloody supercar don't be afraid of the revs B)

Stalling it would be worse :)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Jez,

Well, tried the 30mph in 5th add power, and got loads of judders.... so is this very bad then? I am now afraid.

Jon,

idle is handbook, but haven't tried pushing it around with handbrake off?!

I would agree I do probably need to add more throttle, but am concerned it doesn't seem 'normal' although perhaps it is supercar.

How does a mechanic check to see if the clutch is on the way out, and if it is, I assume the replacement is expensive. Lastly just so I can mentally prepare in case of the worst, are there stronger, better replacements than the lotus part?

thanks all. would value a second opinion on Jez's comments and the 5th gear add power test, even if its bad news... (I dont mean 5th gear! :D )

Edited by bramble111s

Guest Chelsea Martyn
Jez,

Well, tried the 30mph in 5th add power, and got loads of judders.... so is this very bad then? I am now afraid.

Jon,

idle is handbook, but haven't tried pushing it around with handbrake off?!

I would agree I do probably need to add more throttle, but am concerned it doesn't seem 'normal' although perhaps it is supercar.

How does a mechanic check to see if the clutch is on the way out, and if it is, I assume the replacement is expensive. Lastly just so I can mentally prepare in case of the worst, are there stronger, better replacements than the lotus part?

thanks all. would value a second opinion on Jez's comments and the 5th gear add power test, even if its bad news... (I dont mean 5th gear!  :D )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I have been told the clutch on the GT3 is about a quarter of the price of the twin plate V8, taking into account that's nearly a grand... not as bad as you may think!

Engine shouldn't stutter at 30ish in 5th, don't sound normal to me - I tried that the instant I drove my car and it should pull away or at least maintain speed without the revs climbing. Certainly doesn't sound like a clutch to me, if it was on the way you'd head the revs build and you'd be standing still.

The problem sounds like a load issue at low revs. My old mans renault was doing this a while back - we just changed the plugs and all was well after that.

When were the plugs / air-filter changed ? Also check the plugs leads are in the correct order, I've seen them on a 4 pot around the wrong way before and it still ran.

How does it feel in neutral through the rev range, take 10 secs to get it upto about 4K by progressivly feed the throttle in and out slowly and listen, enging should escalate and decelerate nice and smoothly. The at idle try wide open throttle for a second but stop when the revs build up very quickly......this will show you the throttle response (albeit not under load). Witha low end stutter the car will not pick up well under WOT and might even stall !

I would then try it on the road but tbh its mighty slippery out there as I found out today when I nearly span the Elise. If you are brave to try it again you're listening for engine response, but be ultra careful and chose a nice wide road !

My old Probe had a similar issue which was the distributor, my guess is that it's something silly like plugs.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

As Jon says

If the clutch was bad or going bad then you'd have heard the engine rev's rise more than the relevant speed gain.

If it's juddering under load it's probably one of the plug leads arcing, try replacing the plug leads and or plugs first as thats the cheapest option, if that cures it then YAY !

if not then you'll need to delve deeper.

Jez

Jez

Mean Green S4s

Just remembered.

If you let the car Idle for a few mins and blip the throttle out of gear the revs should rise nice and smoothly then come back down smoothly. if it feels like the engine is about to die when the throttle is blipped then you may have a faulty throttle position sensor, which may also contribute to your problems.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

Hmm, all those new suggestions sound as likely, will try in the morning reving in neutral and post back.

Jon, I can answer your idea already, I know if the revs are low and then I apply more than a little I'll get a stutter straight away. Say in second, foot off throttle slow up to roundabout then I have to apply throttle very very carefully not to judder, my foot must ease onto the pedal by millimeters, I am getting quite good at this gentle driving however!

Will look up in history last spark and filter change, although would have thought this was done at last A service? Hold on.....