free hit
counters
S4 Mac Mini 'Carputer' - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S4 Mac Mini 'Carputer'

IMG_0080.jpg

Mac Mini. Voice-operated. Xenarc 7" touchscreen;

Intel Mac Mini. Running OSX and Windows. Integrated real-time, turn-by-turn voice guidance GPS that works! Freescan (connected through the ALDL - logs ECU data while I'm driving and shows me the extra gauges). iTunes (including every song I own), Bluetooth hands-free phone. The little black pad is a mouse. The glowing blue knob is the volume control.

The best part is; I have my iPhone tethered to the mini so I've got internet and streaming radio everywhere I go. Don't tell AT&T :-)

Amp and power supply tucked away.

Amp-and-Powersupply.jpg

I have since cleaned this mess up. The mini fits perfectly in the pouch behind the seat.

Behind-the-Seat.jpg

Like it's not even there:

SeatBack.jpg

AlmostDone.jpg

The keyboard and mouse have been replaced by an app called 'AirMouse' on the iPhone.

BEFORE:

IMG_0087.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_1018.jpg

I'm running ICE

Edited by S4Esprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Jonathan Edwards did this to his V8 years ago?

It's a good install, I wish I had the patience to install such a gizmo and the time to use my car enough to warrant having one. I've even put off installing a simple DVD player to the simple fact that I don't get time to use my car.

David Walters

That looks very good cool. Wouldn;t have the patience myself and as Dave says don't get enough time in the car for it to be genuinely beneficial.

going to go for a simple Ipod compatible stereo for mine as I am intending buying a 160Gb Ipod classic for myself for my birthday!!

going to go for a simple Ipod compatible stereo for mine as I am intending buying a 160Gb Ipod classic for myself for my birthday!!

Be careful as some Ipod compatible stereos aren't quite as compatible as you'd hope and won't run an Ipod classic, although this might just be older Ipod classics.

Yeah I done a very similar thing using a PC / laptop and a 7" touch screen (which I still have actully)

It was fairly easy to do to be honest apart from the welding in the centre console.

It worked really well however I took it out becuase it distracted completely from the driving experience, and the glare from the sceen angle wasn't exactly great - not that it mattered 2 months later I wrote the car off anyways !! lol

Now I have a stereo with an AUX input and an iphone, job done - oh and a new Esprit :o

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Very nice!

What did you pay for the screen? I have a mac mini

Thanks! I don't recall exactly but I think the screen was $400 or so.

It was fairly easy to do to be honest apart from the welding in the centre console.

It worked really well however I took it out becuase it distracted completely from the driving experience, and the glare from the sceen angle wasn't exactly great

I agree. The difficulty level on making the center console adjustment was preposterous.

The primary reason I installed the carputer was because I installed a Turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid, upgraded CC rad, #6 chip, RC injectors, and O2 sensors. This way I am able to extra gauge-watch and record the ecu whenever I'm driving the car - just to make sure everything is as it should be.

That, and it makes the car look a tad more 21st century :o

So i believe *Q* isn't dead now :o

nice gadged to have (especially the always & anywhere I-net connections , as I'm an known net junkie..) :(

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Solid State Hard Drive I would think.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ah. Nope. Old fashioned platter drive. I only had a problem with it one time as I was passing through 140 mph. The music stopped - but only for a few seconds.

Interestingly enough I have that same problem with the iPod on my motorcycle but at 160. It's very strange.

Ah. Nope. Old fashioned platter drive. I only had a problem with it one time as I was passing through 140 mph. The music stopped - but only for a few seconds.

Interestingly enough I have that same problem with the iPod on my motorcycle but at 160. It's very strange.

Apple built in a special safety feature :)

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -