free hit
counters
Smaller front tires on V8 wheels? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Smaller front tires on V8 wheels?

It is a well known problem that the front tires will rub the fenders when turning at full right or left lock if one has put V8 wheels on an Se or S4. The cure is to just not turn very tightly, but that's not entirely practical. Dunlop makes a 225/35/17 which is slightly smaller than the stock V8 tire, but is still larger than the S4's stock 215 width.

Thoughts?

Edited by S4 Esprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:o

Some people have been known to take a small section of the arch away to allow for full lock. Fouling tyres in an MOT failure in the UK.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have V8 wheels on my GT3 with 235/40 17 tyres and I can't say I've ever noticed any rubbing on the fender? The GT3 is similar to the S4 so I can't see why there is a problem. I do turn on full lock to get in and out of my drive way and have repainted my arches, but haven't noticed the paint being worn off from tyre rub, also no problems with the MOT.

Owen

EspritGT3-07.jpg

I have V8 wheels on my 89SE with the stock V8 sizes (235/40-17 & 285/35-18).

There is almost no rubbing. It is a slight section on the inner left wheel well with a half inch wide spot where the tire has touched.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I used to have the V8 wheels on there and they rubbed on full lock. Moving to the 225 size would be the easy way to solve the issue. The other option would be to tub out the fiberglass where it rubs and refiberglass the area.

Jason

I have V8 wheels on my 89SE with the stock V8 sizes (235/40-17 & 285/35-18).

There is almost no rubbing. It is a slight section on the inner left wheel well with a half inch wide spot where the tire has touched.

Mine rub on the left side as well. I thought it was just an asymmetrical Lotus thing, but it is good to know someone else has the left side rub. I'll go for the 225s and report back.

• 1 month later...

mine rub just a little bit on full lock (they rubbed quite a lot with my AWI's on my previous SE !)

Only problem for MOT : my S4 is officially declared to have 235/40/17 in the front and 285/35/18 in the back, and changing this can mean MOT starts to argue ...

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -