free hit
counters
A special edition Esprit that you usually don't find in books - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

A special edition Esprit that you usually don't find in books

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Lotus-...1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a 1983 "Special Edition" or "Investor Edition" Esprit Turbo. Someone may correct me, but my understanding of these cars is that they were the first Esprits officially imported to the US to signify Lotus' return to the US market after pulling out in 1980. They made, I think 50 (???) of these, each for investors who put up a certain amount of stake in the new company. Well, that's what I've been told -- something like that.

These cars, aside from being numbered, have balanced and blueprinted engines, and that paperwork came with the car. They also have sunroofs, which were not, IIRC, available as an option on U.S. Esprits until . . . 1985? (don't know my years that well.)

Most of them had a two-tone paint job like what you see here, but they were a variet of colors -- red, white, gray mostly, few black, one gold, IIRC.

All of the book about the Esprit that I can think of are published in the UK, and none of them that I can recall give any mention to this car. Maybe the authors just didn't know about it? Or maybe just didn't care? Well, either way, if I want a U.S. model Giugiaro Turbo, I'd consider one of these because of the blueprinted engines. :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't start, eh? Bet they haven't found the fuel pump inertia switch....!

As for the paint job........!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The only place I have personally seen this model mentioned this side of the pond, so far, is the Club Lotus France site

see link

http://www.club-lotus.fr/lotus/tous-les-mo...estors-special/

suggest use Babel Fish

http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Mark, Mr. Brian Angus emailed me some info on these cars and spoke fondly of them -- I'll bet he would be pleased to see the information see the light of day. I need to write him back . . .

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Wow... and the one on Mark's page is the very one being sold: "83 HAULS"

Oops... on closer inspection I see its the same picture as from the ad. I guess Mark is just very savvy when it comes to updating his site. :)

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

I saw it and thought it was just another altered esprit. But this is a real model? It is rough and would need a full restoration. I think it will go cheap. They may be baiting a little with " ran before wreck, prob electrical, and in the trunk, in a box with a switch........". I thought about giving a low bid, but I dont need a project.

Clay

• 2 weeks later...

Small world, I just saw this car today at Viking in Costa Mesa. Overall it's not in too bad shape and I have to say in person the color combo looks great. Someone got a good deal!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 2 weeks later...

I've received some more info from Lotus on the Turbo Esprit Investor's Special Edition. Thanks to Brian Angus, it looks like this is the definitive information:

We have spent a lot of time in the archives over the last couple of weeks and unearthed some more information on the USA Turbo Esprit of 1983.

I can now confirm the build details of the Special Edition (Investors) Cars.

The reintroduction of the Esprit into the USA was as follows :-

Following several years out of the USA market Lotus commenced production of USA Specification Cars with the introduction of the Lotus Turbo Esprit.

A new private Import & Distribution company - Lotus Performance Cars was formed with the help of 50 Investors.

The first cars (83 MY) were PTS in February 1983.

In August 1983 the first of 50 'Special Edition' Cars was passed to sales.(at this point 105 'Standard' cars had been built)

The last of the 50 cars was passed to sales in October 1983.

As part of the Investors package they all had a Special Edition car.

These cars had the following specification:-

They were all built to the owners specification which included :-

Removable tinted glass roof panel

Individually tested engine with power curve

Individually tested and matched suspension ride control units

Comprehensive security system

Hall marked English silver plaque on the steering wheel personally engraved for the driver.

Individually hand sign-written 'Special Edition' insignia and serial number on drivers door

External colour scheme and interior trim exclusive to Special Edition (Optional)

It was an interesting exercise to confirm what actually happened.

My memory of what happened 26 years ago is a bit clouded but this has brought back the reality!

Brian Angus

Lotus Engineering

http://www.lotuscars.co.uk

Hethel, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ, England

Edited by Mark Blanchard