free hit
counters
1986 S3 N/A Project - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

1986 S3 N/A Project

Good work Simon,

Glad to see you are still making good progress, The interior sounds interesting, will be interested to see some shots of your new interior

once the trimmmer has finished with it. Good luck with the rest of the build, Have you escaped scratching any of the new shiny yet!

Regards danny

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the encouragement. Feels like things are really gearing up now.

I think I need to order some carpet soon. At least I need to made a work order for the interior.

I'm desparate not to be held up for lack of material(s)

I havnt made any big scratches yet but I'm sure there are lots of small ones - hopefully will go with the final buff-up.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Scoop refitted. Grill restored, new studs welded on and painted. Grill in.

Radiator fitting well underway. New top brackets have been rough fabricated to get the fit and captive nuts welded in place; then will be painted.

New slimline fans now fitted within the original cowl - fitted very well. Pleased with that.

So, front underside almost done.

I think I may stick to the front and do the rewire, pods and bonnet. That way, when I move to the engine bay, I'll be much closer to trying to startup the engine when its in.

Not sure what grade of carpet to go for. Woolies have sent me 6 samples and they range from the cheap and very thin to the very thick and rather expensive. Something in the middle that can be stitched I guess. Once the wiring has been sorted, I'll get the carpet sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took down the scoop again to refit the spare tyre holder and to paint the underside with bodyseal, alongwith the wheel arch area. Looks great.

Some pics..

DSCN2167.jpg

And with everything in.

DSCN2172.jpg

I'm still thinking about the headlight wiring ie to upgrade or not. I'm tempted to stay as is for now - its easy work later on anyway.

While I'm thinking, I've moved on to the ear refit, along with the new inline fan mod. Pics to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

Cracking job, looking great and giving me some much needed motivation!.

I have an ' 83 NA S3. Ive owned it for 7 years and generally paid someone competent (or not) to do the work. Im now wanting to do some of the work myself (maybe not quite as extensively as yourself).

1st job is new radiator, pipes and shocks all round. How did you get to the radiator, the big GRP scoop has 3 large bolts in the middle and they free spin, if I try cutting them I will end up making a mess of the GRP. How did you do it?

Cheers,

Marc

Thanks Marc.

I think you must have a slightly different scoop to me. But, I had the same problem. All the bolts span!

However, all were accesible from the front compartment, albeit with a stretch. Bear i mind my bonnet was off at the time making it easier.

FYI, the scoop on my '86 has 3 bolts either side and the baffle has one in the centre compartment. You need to undo the radiator bolts attaching it to the scoop( I wonder if these are the ones spinning on yours?) but not those attaching it to the boot floor - these keep it up and safe as you remove the scoop. You may also find that the front grill is bolted in place top and or bottom.

Perhaps you could start a resto/tech thread, post up some images of the bolts and advice will pour in!!

Simon

So, ear refit.

Removing all the sealant was quite a job. I temporarily refitted the engine bay top wall to get the duct positions correct.

For the entire operation, I used one tube of masterbond windscreen sealant - good consistency and WILL last a few days before it cures in the tube.

The rear wire mesh was in a bit of a state so I bought some Aluminium mesh from B&Q for £8. Looks more modern close up and from a distance, you cant tell its different

DSCN2178.jpg

Its easy to cut with snips and bends on finger pressure only. The bodyside edge is curved and needs the rubber edging to protect the paintwork during fitting.

Here it is prior to painting

DSCN2183.jpg

I actually think it looks rather good silver but, well I'm keen on keeping the exterior original looking so its been painted black.

The cabin vent mask is also refitted with new black filter (a sheet of 2" air filter) and lots of sealant to prevent water ingress.

Why did I do this 'cosmetic work now? Because I cant refit the bay walls without the vents inplace and the inline fan needed positioning. All thanks to cut and paste rehearsal in the excell spreadsheet

Hi Simon,

Good plan, I will take some photos and see what response comes in.

I might be mis-naming the offending part, I am not trying to remove the lower front bodywork scoop, but the large cowling housing the radiator frame? In your photo above it is sitting on your garage floor right behind the radiator and fan assembly.

On a side, what are you doing with your inlet piping for the engine? my '83 MY has bot side scoops directing air into the engine bay, but the actual air feeding the engine trumpets, comes from an airbox that then has a seperate hose that sucks (hot) air from just behing the engine enclosure.

Will your drivers side scoop feed air straight to your carbs?

Cheers,

Marc

Hi Marc,

OK, the cowl that is pictured was indeed the one I meant. Sound like the bolts that are spinning are the ones attaching to the bottom of the radiator itself. If you cant get at them, the alternative is to undo all the 3 side attachements, the one in the front compartment holding the 1/3 baffle and the TOP radiator bolts there aswell. This will allow the radiator to drop down (provided all pipes and electrical connections have been released. Thinking about it, I had to do this as I had the same problem. Remember to support the radiator as it all comes down so it doesnt break the back lip of the cowl!

The Idea you have of directing air direct into the engine is called the ram-air modification and is outlined either here or on LotusEspritWorld. I considered this but decided against it in the end. It is an easy one and could be easily reversed if you didnt like it. Its meant to add a couple of HP but can result in excessive noise with the drivers window open apparently.

As you say, the current intake arrangement draws air from the rear luggage compartment. This itself is fed by the left 'ear' via the left oblong vent in the bay. The right vent is a dummy one.

The modification I'm making is putting an inline fan to power the hot air exit from the engine bay to the left ear. This inturn will draw cold air in, via the right ear and of course from the underside of the engine. The controller allows for 2 fans so I could add one on the right ear exit but noise behind the driver might be excessive. I've almost got this sorted so I'll post some pics soon.

Coming on now.

In the engine bay now.

Top wall relined with reflect-a-gold.Easy, nice job, if expensive - £100 for materials.

Here is the finished wall

DSCN2195.jpg

Its now installed with some high temperature sealant and bolted down.

Just need to order some new engine mount washers and I think the lump can go back in. Ive decided to recommission the engine first and then consider a high torque starter as a later addition.

Engine bay looks really tidy simon, Seems a lot of money for the materials dont know how they can charge so much its day light robbery, But that said it will make your engine bay look very tidy and its things like this where you have gone the extra mile that will make your restoration stand out from the crowd :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work regards danny

A

Costs are a big issue. I keep thinking, if I skimp now, I'll only regret it. There has to be a limit though and I'm trying to do a sympathetic restoration. There is no point in replacing everything just for the sake of it. Bolts, for example, look mucky but dont always need renewing.

I'm all for upgrades where appropriate, but I dont want the exterior/interior to look significantly different.

But you are right, £100 for some gold coloured foil is alot, especially if it all peels off after 12 months!

Just spent another £100 at SJs for 4 mounting buffer washers, 4 suspension bolts and an oil filler cap! Gulp. The washers are the most expensive items on the planet though.

Costs are a big issue. I keep thinking, if I skimp now, I'll only regret it. There has to be a limit though and I'm trying to do a sympathetic restoration. There is no point in replacing everything just for the sake of it. Bolts, for example, look mucky but dont always need renewing.

I'm all for upgrades where appropriate, but I dont want the exterior/interior to look significantly different.

But you are right, £100 for some gold coloured foil is alot, especially if it all peels off after 12 months!

Just spent another £100 at SJs for 4 mounting buffer washers, 4 suspension bolts and an oil filler cap! Gulp. The washers are the most expensive items on the planet though.

Yes i thought that about the washers, but of memory i think they are rubber coated or something.... also go for 2 x pink dot mounts. :thumbup:

Regards danny

A

Well,

Mount washers arrived. Weren't made out of gold, despite cost. Awaiting engine in soon...

oil filler cap - on but a rip off!

Woolies order arrived today.

Nice new soft carpet with edging trim and rubber heel pads. Out comes the sewing machine again then!

Light grey headlining material - looks and feels the business.

Did a few boring but needed jobs. Gearing up to the engine reinstall. Might do it this weekend if I can persuade a mate to help out.

Oh, BTW, in the chaos of my moving house, I seem to have lost the top radiator hose. Its a short s bend type from the otter switch bit to the top radiator inlet. Anyone got one spare?? I'm lucky not to have lost more, I suppose. Found my Esprit "how-I-undid-it-all" book yesterday. Detailed notes of the strip down. Contains all the wiring etc. Thought I had lost that aswell!

• 3 weeks later...

So, maybe some of you have spotted that I've added a restoration (now owners cars) blog. Thats to outline my interior work.

Not really sure where the best place is to post but Here is where I am so far with the header rail

DSCN2202.jpg

Actually, the other side and a sun visor is done but no pics yet.

Quite pleased with that so far. I've ordered a DAB/FM aerial to fit behind the roof trim, as suggested by Roger (the Dodger) and then I can glue in the headling material.

The original had longitudinal lines sewn down it but not sure if I can 1) replicate it (probably can) and 2) glue it in straight.

I think I have a solution to refit the engine after several suggestions. I'm going to hire a compact demountable gantry with hoist and use that plus my engine crane to get the engine up, at the correct angle, then wheel in the car and....well.....thats wednesday hopefully.

In preparation, the steering column is on its way back in now that the last radiator connection had been refitted.

Cant wait!

Edited by slewthy

• 2 weeks later...

Coming on a treat.

It is going to be better than new once finished - I like the Mac F1 inspired gold eninge lining. I dont think you will want to hide that under the engine cover!!

My Esprit is coming on (slowly - 2 young kids see to that!!), I see what you mean regarding the bolts under the bonnet, I still need to remove (grind I think is the only option) a few rusted nuts on the underside first, trying not to melt the GRP in the process.

I got the airbox off and the trumpets cleaned up, then I noticed the bottom of all the trumpets were warped, by 1-2mm, so a good seal with the carbs is impossible, unless I fabricate a thick gasket. The resonator airbox and piping is out, it must be a good 3kg of material there, reducing noise at the cost of reducing performance and adding weight!

Are you keeping the oil surge lines running into your airbox? I am thinking of using a vented catch tank to keep the filter clean and stop burning any oil (reduces combustion efficientcy / cause pinking).

To remove the rear shocks from the top mount is there only 1 single bolt holding them in place? Accessed from a small access pane in engine bay on drivers side?

Anyhow keep up the good work!!

Marc

Thanks for the encouragement, Marc. Progress here is slower than liked - I've got 3 of the little blighters! Oh, and a wife to keep in the manner she wish she was accustomed to....

Firstly, I expect there will be quite a few differences between your '83 and my '86 NA. I'm not aware of oil surge lines at all. What are they? The only thing attached to my airbox is a rubber tube, crankcase to airbox. Is that what you mean? If its for oil, I'm alarmed. Your point of fitting a catch under the airbox drain is a valid one in anycase. Might do that too.

Re the rear shocks,

I changed all my suspension with body off, so didnt have to worry about access. The shock itself is held to the top of the chassis by 2 nuts. the stud coming off the top of the shock absorber passes through the bushes. it is shaped to accept a socket and the two nuts can then be removed. However, spring must be fully compressed before untightening. Otherwise, you would be in for a shock!

Be aware that the situation at the front is different - there is an abutment plate which is removed by 4 bolts, so the shock/spring can be disassembled on the bench.

Marc, do you have the workshop manual and parts list?

Oh, the spinning bolts at the scoop. How about drilling them out? Grip the head with a wrench, then use progressively larger drills in the centre of the head untill the head separates. Can do this in stages to prevent things getting too hot. Just a thought.

SImon

Oh, for tight areas, I recently bought a 90 degree attachment for my drill. Was about £20 form B&Q. Handy little thing. just need to be careful of torque.

Edited by slewthy

• 1 month later...

Quick update.

Heading of interior complete.

IMG_5347.jpg

Some adjustment needed for visors but otherwise, OK.

Leather has arrived at the upholsterer and the next job is put leather on the unremovable part of the dash next to the screen.

• 1 month later...

Almost there........almost there.........

with the engine gantry!

My engine crane is not fit for purpose! Its feet are too high to go under the chassis and the jib wont go high enough. Its a proper long reach version aswell.

In the end, I decided to go for a gantry but a home made type.

Last bits to pick up on saturday.

Essentially, I am going to span the beams in the barn-garage with an RSJ. To prevent overstressing the structure, I am supporting the beams under the rsj with Acrow props. I then have a beam roller and an old chain hoist for the lifting.

Just the RSJ to pick up and then bingo - a major hurdle..........hurdled.

Expect pics of gantry and lifting progress soon

Edited by slewthy

Here we go then,

IMG_5421.jpg

Everything fits and is what I had in mind.

Here is the chain hoist I bought off ebay. This cost £10 and is a great piece of kit. Its made by Morris of Loughborough and if anyone is interested, there is another for sale ATM, rated 1 ton. Greasing points, nicely engineered etc.

IMG_5422.jpg

Plan is to lift the engine tomorrow, fingers crossed.

just caught up with this thread....what a great job you have done with that headlining!

The progress you have made is great and it really puts me to shame as my project hasn't moved forward in 8 months. You may have just sparked my enthusiasm once again.

:)

It's getting there......