free hit
counters
1986 S3 N/A Project - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
slewthy

1986 S3 N/A Project

Simon,

Not sure how the rest of your paintwork on the car is, but personally i would go the whole hog and paint the lot while its in for the repair, would be a shame to just have the repaired section sprayed and blown in, only to find out in a few years that the laquer starts to lift on the unpainted rear end of the car.

Go on you know you want to as the rest of the car is restored now you just need to complete the rest and a full respray would finish the job of nicely, finances permitting as im not sure how much a full respray costs these days. Would love to get one on mine but at the moment the paintwork is not bad enough to warrant a respray.

Chhers for the pics the cars coming along very well :thumbup:

Regards danny

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lotusbits has a paintshop onsite. Mike recons £2500 for a full respray but insinuated that that didnt include the prep.

How does that sound? (I know how my wallet thinks it sounds...)

:thumbup: Jesus that seems like a lot of money for a respray! I would be expecting less than that including prep!

Or it may be that i have not had a car painted in years! last time i had a car sprayed it was my spitfire and that sprayed ford midnight blue in two pack for off memory £300! self prep. Bloody good finish aswell, that was about ten years ago but inflation cant be that much!

Have a shop round and pm some other people that have recently had resprays to see what the costs are,

But £2500 for a self prep unless its paint in 24k gold and encrused with diamonds sounds crazy :cheers:

Regards danny

Hmm, just did a search "respray & cost".

Seems 4K-5K for a full strip, respray and rebuild is the going rate for a class job.

So maybe 2.5K for the respray bit isnt too far off.

I'll get a full quote from lotus bits and take a look at what they've done. Might have to do some overtime at work but I've got to get this bit right.

I'll drop surface and design an email aswell for their prices.

I paid £850 for a TR6 that included all prep, doors, bonnet & boot off. It was about 6 years ago - but there has not been that much inflation since. Just recommissioning the car at the mo - still a first class job. (Done by Stokesly motors in North Yorkshire....) for 2500 - 5000 I would want to know how much the materials cost and how many hours of prep you get.

tr6.jpg

Edited by 910Esprit

I paid £850 for a TR6 that included all prep, doors, bonnet & boot off. It was about 6 years ago - but there has not been that much inflation since. Just recommissioning the car at the mo - still a first class job. (Done by Stokesly motors in North Yorkshire....) for 2500 - 5000 I would want to know how much the materials cost and how many hours of prep you get.

Well, nothing is cheap on an Esprit. I cant imagine ANY major job costing less than a grand. Your price does seem good though.

you would not get yout tr6 painted for £650 at stokesley motors now. went there for a price last year as someone backed into wifes civic.they quoted me more than that just to do a small fill and paint job on the door. the quote they gave me was over 3 times the price where i got the repair done. so well worth shopping round

Well,

One S3 transported sucessfully to Lotusbits today. No issues!

They have it for the next 2-3 weeks to do the bodyrepairs and I'm also getting a quote for a full respray there. I've seen the repainted eclat thay have repaired - looks good so far.

Hopefully I'll have some better images to post than the ones I've had to show over the last few months!

Thanks to Andy67 for his help.:)

Edited by slewthy

Well, as you know, main bit of car is being repaired at Lotusbits.

That leaves me with the engine to play with.

Yesterday, I changed the cambelt.

NOT a job I'd like to do with the engine in situ but I guess doing it out of the car arms me with some valuable knowledge.

Sliding on and off not easy - even with the tensioner slackened off.

Also, this 'lining up the dots on the cam sprockets' business - they will line up in several positions once the belt is off. Not a problem if nothing moves but, well, here is where I start to learn...

Sprockets lined up. marked and cable tied together. Aux sprocket marked. TDC. Belt marked.

Now, need to undo the drive shaft v pulley - 'just undo it' the manual says! LEW suggests gripping the Cam sprockets with bits of wood - doesnt work - things move slightly and hey presto, you're out of alignment. Arrrggggggggh!

So, criticise me if you ,like but this is how I did it - Gripped the drive V pulley with a plumbers wrench, against abit of casing so the thing wouldn't move, then undid the bolt holding the pulley. Done.

After about 1 hour of realigning all the bits sent askew but the wood method, cam belt went back on, all teeth correct, all marks correct and TDC still OK, re-tightened the V pulley with plumbers wrench method with no problems.

So, its easy to damage soft metal with the wrench but thats insignificant compare to malaligned engine timing as far as I can see. But then I am a newbie to this.

Just need to test the tension, but by the 90degree method, and by the 'tone' all seems quite close.

Started to refurbish the cam covers today. Just wait till you see the pics....

Going to repaint the starter motor - do I need special paint for this? How hot does it get?

just use smoothrite on the starter motor. or any decent paint should do as there is no extreme heat from the starter motor.

Thanks Rob - painted with satin Hammerite, presumably equivalent of smoothrite, went on well and looks much better.

The cam covers are coming on nicely. I'll post an image when they are both done and on.

On removing them, the paper gasket came away but seemed to also be bonded with red sealant.

I have the correct replacement gaskets from SJs but what, if any, red sealant should I use?

Oh, update from Lotusbits - car body being repaired. They are using the front of the Essex I saw there.

Quote for respray is £25000, including all prep and paints and labour. Not bad? Their work on the Excel looks good, so I'll go with that. Simpler aswell compared with taking it elsewhere.

Quote for respray is £25000, including all prep and paints and labour. Not bad?

Hope thats one 0 too many!!!!

Oh yeah.

I think its the one in the middle!

Here are the cam covers in situ. Dont look too bad with the paint all off

DSCN1862.jpg

And painted all wrinkly black

DSCN1864.jpg

And with the disc sander run over the top

DSCN1867.jpg

The step of baking in the oven at 200C for 60 mins is vital for stabilising the paint. Otherwise it gets knocked off too easily.

• Like 1

Thats it - I've decided. I'm too pasive/patient.

2-3 weeks at Lotusbits has transpired into 3 months! Still, I' told the front end is done, albeit multicoloured! I'm off to see it on wednesday so I'll post pics of the patchwork then.....

The last 3 months have been sparse in terms of work on the parts I have left a home - probably a good thing from a family point of view. As you know, the cam covers are done. Still no joy finding a replacement oil filler cap without shelling out £30 for the red one from SJs. Think I'm just going to have to swallow that one.

Struggling to work out what to do with the engine. I'm keen to get it back in quick, lest it stops working or something!!! BUT as I have said a few times before, compression down on pot 4 and not running/idling as good as it could. It could be a ring thats gone, so I guess I would be best getting it looked at - engine in or engine out task? Transport the whole car or just engine? DIY??

Oh, just for fun, I'm thinking about nice jobs aswell! I'd like to replace the crap radio/cd with something that is 'future proof' I'm thinking DAB radio with iPOD link. I'd like to loose the wing mounted aerial so I need to make this decision now. Q : can I use an in-car aerial for DAB? I could put it behind the roof lining when I renew it. Anyone done this? Might post this as a separate thread to get wider opinion.

I've also got some contacts for an interior leather retrim - a couple of retired local ex Rolls Royce coach trimmers are at large, so....

We are about to move house, so logistics are a major headache ATM. I'm going to get a selfstore container for all my garage stuff. Also means I can transport fininsed, resprayed body direct to new house. Get this - triple garage, coach house(workshop) he he he!! The garage has some mighty beams in it - engine winch? space for a 2 post lift? Hardstanding for , 20 cars (party not project!) . CANT WAIT!!

hopefully, this thread will come alive again in a month or 2.....

OK, finally got to Lotusbits this afternoon. Had to go to work this morning. Was meant to be for a few minutes. Turned into a few hours arrgghh!

So, with intrepidation, I crept towards the warehouse, wondering what I would see.....

Well, its a patchwork but a good one at that. VERY pleased. With eyes shut, the join cannot be felt. The underside repair is as good as the visible on. The work inside the front storage space is essentially invisible. The front end from an Essex has been grafted on with all the 'wrong' holes having been filled. The badge position is also different - changed. Honestly, the attention to detail is really quite impressive. Here are some pics although they dont do it justice. The bonnet and pods were used for final fit but now are loose so dont line up correctly yet.

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

Every time I go to see Mike, the setup at Lotusbits gets better and better. They now have a purpose built warehouse to store customer cars - 2 of which were wrapped in plastic for protection. They took me out in a 2.2 N/Awhich that had ported and done further engine and brake work to - very impressive, even with its standard exhaust. Great to be back in an Esprit again.

Anyway, started to strip the body for respray which is planned for next month.

Starting to think - phoenix from the flames, well crunch.

Slewthy

So.

Moved house. Went well but has meant no progress until yesterday.

Final stripping done prior to respray and final fit of pods and bonnet - problem. No matter what I did, couldnt get the bonnet to fit flush. Arrrggghhh! My immediate thought was that the front end was not straight - after all, why should it be? Infact, it was the bonnet and trialling another, fit was perfect.

Door skin exchanged to get rid of the nasty crazing and damage from PO. Its rather handy doing this work at Lotusbits - all the parts there and ready to be sold!

Pushed car into paintshop, just as the last car left - a green Elite - stunning. If they do as good a job on mine, I'll be well pleased.

Whilst I was there (I'm a captive audience, after all) Mike showed me his adjustable rear upper suspension arms to adjust camber. Look nice. £100 each. Not sure I can justify that right now. Just letting you chaps know.

Also I've ordered a 3 core rad to replace my knackered 2 core crash damaged one.

The bills just keep on adding up.

Oh, and my wife says she wants 11 rooms decorating!!!!

More importantly, I need 3 garage doors and quick - paintshop say 2-3 weeks.

So, progress? No.

Well yes, but no pics yet.

News is that respray is complete for the bodyshell and the other bits - ears, rails, mirrors, doors, etc etc etc are in primer.

Still no garage doors but working on it.

I have reassembled my car in my head a thousand times. My engine is in my new out building being dive bombed by the indigenous house martins. Blast those house martins.

I feel that Einstein's time dilation is at work here. Very frustrating.

Still, my local pub - 100yrds away has just started hosting classic car evenings. Mainly cos the owner has a couple of Triumphs. First meet had .....2 Triumphs. So......it is, as I said, quite frustrating!

I'm only really posting today so that folk dont think this project has gone dead. The times, as I'm sure most will testify, when I am not thinking about potential progress are very rare indeed. Actual progress, unfortunately, is even rarer.

In the meantime, my wife is devising more and more cunning plans to spend my (Esprit) money in new and varied ways on the house. After all, all you can do with a sofa is sit on it...

Simon,

Popped down lotus bits the other day to get some bits and bobs and your car was in the spray booth and had been sprayed but the body had a protective clear sheet on to stop the dust getting on the new paintwork, nice bunch of lads working up there . Good luck with the re assembly and keep us posted mate.

Regards danny