free hit
counters
'83 S3 Headlights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi all,

I know this is much discussed topic but I'm a little confused. When an 83 UK S3 came out of the factory how did the inner and outer headlights function.

Currently mine work with Outers only on Dipped beam, and inners (go brighter once I corrected the pin allocation at the lamp ) and outers on Main Beam. This to me seems right to me....

However!.... Looking at the wiring diagram for an S3 n/a there is a comment stating "Main beam only on Fedral cars" against the inner lamps. Does this mean non USA cars had dip beam on the inners? Looking at the wiring diagram I see that the inners run on the relay and the outers on the switch. On my car I have all wires to allow me to operate dip and main beam on the inner lamps however my inner lamps are only main beam lamps and the wiring has been rigged so that one side of the car is using the relay power source and the other is using the source from the switch for dip and main beam.

Is this a PO's bodge or is this common place? I'm in the process of tidying up the lighting circuits, I have several voltage drops through bad connections at relays and poor non-factory joins. All relay connections will be replaced with new connections and the poor joins done properly. This should ensure I eliminate as many voltage drops as I can but I'd like to know

Should the car have dip beam on the inner lamps as standard?

If not, as I have all the wires was this a factory modification to before a new loom was available?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only have one set of dipped beam, so the UK cars would only have one combined dip and main and one other set of main/ driving lights as inners. Looking at lots of USA member posts it looks as though the inners were their only high beam originally.

Thanks Andy,

So what is mean't by the comment on the wiriing diagram? The wiring digram is from the Lotus Service manual.

It looks like my wiring is a bit of a bodge then, so which lamps should run off the relay which directly off the switch?

Cheers again

David

Hi, sorry for updating my own thread again.

I just did a quick search on sjsportscars.co.uk.

Steve has the following lamp forsale

Part No. SJ079M0005 Description. HEADLAMP UNIT (RHD) Replacement lamp for Hella type used up to about 1983, all four lamps are the same, all four have dip and main

I'll call Steve in the morning and update this thread with the outcome.

Thanks for all help again

David

Edited by hylandmotorsport

I suggest you power all the lamps, dipped and main beam, through relays. Putting power for all the lamps through the switch either by changing the wiring or by pulling the flash switch while on dipped beam, can lead to the plastic of the switch melting slightly so the contacts sink below the surface.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I wouldn't even consider running four lamps on dip and main without additional relays. That's just common sense after all.

I am very interested in finding out how it was originally wired when in the car left the factory. Especially to understand how the lamps functioned.

Thanks again

David

Oh, when I said you can only have a pair of dipped beams I mean legally you can only have one pair and it would fail the MOT if you had a second pair, say, on a seperate relay that when removed would render the inner low beams off (Cough, Cough).

I've mentioned it elsewhere as well, ideally run the headlight relay from the light switch not the column switch, then have high beam acting on a change-over relay so you reduce the amount of time with neither dipped or main on when switching between them.

My 82 TE has, as standard, all the wiring necessary to do dip and main on all 4 headlights.. but was fitted with one set of dipping headlights and one set of main beam only. This I discovered when the original reflectors rusted away and I replaced them (being skint at the time, back in 1990) with 4 sealed beam units..then found I had 4 dipping headlights! And she's been passing the MOT every year since.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thanks again Andy.

I would agree with your thoughts on MOT failure with four dipped beam lamps but I've not been failed ever for it (my rally car ran quad lamps with main beam inners only).

However, being Devils advocate here, can a car be failed for doing what it did when it left the factory? As long as it still complies with the regulations at the time of manufacture, should it not pass?

I'd agree with your comment if being able to switch off the inner dip beams for th purpose of a test though, if it was a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you have all four lights pointing the correct direction they will pass.I have 4 H4 bulbs on my car ,but they are still not that good.I will be replacing mine with gas discharge at some time by taking out the old lights and putting complete new units in.As these will be smaller I will make up a plate to fit around the new lights.