free hit
counters
HELP! tool for locking wheel studs - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

HELP! tool for locking wheel studs

Help!!!

My car has Lotus tamper-proof wheel lock studs for the Oz wheels.

The tool has broken - its got four pegs that engage on the special wheel stud and the pegs have sheared off.

I now can't get my wheels off, which is a major problem.

Tried all the local (Perth) auto/tool shops, but no luck.

Tried SJ Sportscars, but they say that these have not been available since 1999.

Does anyone have one that they don't want/need?

Hopefully the pin centres are compatible.

Happy to buy, borrow, pay shipping costs and endure the long wait for shipping from UK/US or wherever!

The alternative is to drill the wheel studs :) or try and make a new tool.

My advice to others with this set-up is - get rid of it before it bites you on the ass.

I am attaching a photo of the offending item.

Steve

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to a local motor factrs they should have a tool that's like a socket with threads inside it (left hand threads) that cut into the nut to grip it and then once they're wound on you simply undo the nut as normal. It destroys the locking nut (well damages it and makes it look unsightly) and I guess if you need to remove the wheel urgently it's the only choice other than wait for a new one from Lotus (if available at all).

Andy

Edit, just remebered I've seen another tool with lots of pins that are designed to work on the other type of locking nut, all spring looaded so you push it on and it pushes most of the pins out of the way except where there should be a bit of metal for the locking nut tool. it may work, or it may be too weak for this type.

Edited by andydclements

Looks like you could centre pop where the studs were, drill through and use suitable old drill shanks to form substitute studs. Get the nuts off and throw them away!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the tip on the left hand threaded nut idea, Andy - might try that first. Could probably just buy a left hand male thread die.

John, my initial thoughts were exactly what you suggested - but I think I'd have to go to a machine shop to drill the old pegs out - they are extremely hard.. Or put new ones in between. So that will be plan B.

Plan C is attempt to drill the studs out...

Steve

I had an old 'vette and the tool was missing when I bought it. Though your locks are a bit different you might weld a piece of metal to the lock then remove it. A guy at the tire place did this for me for free though I bought the tires from him.

Another way is to hammer on a smaller size socket then try and get it off. Usually an air gun works best. I have a locking wheel nut removal tool but it's not much good to you on the other side of the world. I very much doubt the pins are the same as others, usually there are quite a few combinations so getting another key probably would not work. If all else fails, drill them off carefully.

Edited by davegtst

Yes Dave, Thats the way we got mine off after the key went missing, by hammering on a slightly smaller socket andthen airgunning it.

I would make the drilling the nut, the last possible choice as I've seen those go badly wrong and require a new Hub.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Another way is to hammer on a smaller size socket then try and get it off.

EXACTLY how i've done it!

:)

Went to halfords, bought 4 sockets that i could hammer over the nuts and bin afterwards.

Job done.

Worse part was my nuts had rotating collars (presumably to stop you doing this) but i split

them down the side with a chisel and popped them off.

Armed with four sockets that you can hammer over the nuts, this is not actually a hard job

at all. Armed with drills and welding gear it's possibly easy too, but there's the added risk of

ruining you alloys i guess.

:)

Thought for a minute you were going to talk about super glue and wheel centres!

Superglue? Pah!

It was a two pack 'liquid metal' i used to fix those. Very embarrassing, never thought for

a second how they would be removed for wheel balancing. One of them, when hammered,

shot from one end of Steve Williams workshop to the other end and was never seen again...

I'm as suprised as you that i did not tackle the locking wheel nuts with four sticks of dynomite.

Lots of good ideas there - thanks very much. I like the socket one the most - cheap, easy, quick...

I'll let you know if I was successful - next weekend - I am away this weekend...

The Gatorgrip is not going to work because its got to engage on a cylindrical head of the stud - no hex shape to engage on..

Steve

Edited by GreenLeader

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to get one stud out off using a 14mm socket, belted onto the wheel stud with a 4lb hammer (hopefully the wheel bearing survived the pounding).

It worked, but I'm not keen to do the same treatment on the other three wheels, so I am having the broken tool repaired by a friend...

Steve

Steve

Had a simular problem with mine a while ago, when some garage put my locking nuts back on with an air gun. The Locking nut looks the same as. I went to a local garage who hamered the bolts off with a punch. It wreacked the bolts but did the job. A last resort if all other sugestions fail.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus