free hit
counters
Brakes locked up! Ouch! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brakes locked up! Ouch!

Guest bonedoc

I was driving today, and the car suddenly was running weird after a light. I could not figure out what it was. Well, after 2 miles, I pulled over. All 4 of my wheels were smoking from the brakes. It turns out that the little brake light switch came dislocated and caused the brakes to be engaged...and you know how sensitive the esprits brakes are. I have a 2002 BTW. I got everything back to normal with the pedals and the switch. But, I wanted to ask you all if something could have been damaged at the brakes due to the freaking high temps....they were actually smoking. Also, could I have damaged any secondary things due to this. Everything works and feels normal now. But, I wanted to double check. Thanks for your suggestions.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving today, and the car suddenly was running weird after a light. I could not figure out what it was. Well, after 2 miles, I pulled over. All 4 of my wheels were smoking from the brakes. It turns out that the little brake light switch came dislocated and caused the brakes to be engaged...and you know  how sensitive the esprits brakes are. I have a 2002 BTW. I got everything back to normal with the pedals and the switch. But, I wanted to ask you all if something could have been damaged at the brakes due to the freaking high temps....they were actually smoking. Also, could I have damaged any secondary things due to this. Everything works and feels normal now. But, I wanted to double check. Thanks for your suggestions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might look at the rotors for any signs of heat damage such as checking or cracking. But with the short amount of time you drove it that way I would think the worst that would happen is you might get some brake shudder particularly at higher speed braking from pad deposits on the rotors.

How are the brakes now? Still working well and smooth?

Jim

1995 S4s

Guest bonedoc

It seems like the pads are still thick, and run smooth. It was a weird deal. Those things were smoking, and smelled like I was cutting metal or welding or something. I am going to go do some more looking at it in the light. Thanks for the help!!

I'm no expert but is there a chance that the heat may have seized the pistons in the calipers? Might be worth having them checked too?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

could it have been the anti lock braking system shorting?  i'm curious too, as there's no way the brake light could affect other systems on my ancient esprit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps the switch plunger jammed out, holding the pedal down a bit?