free hit
counters
Spark Plugs? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Spark Plugs?

MattCern

Hi everyone,

The weather is finally getting better and we had a nice warm day for a change. I decided it was time to pull the cover off and re-connect the battery and start the car for the first time since December. Beleive it or not, it started as soon as the starter engaged, that quick! I pulled it out of the garage and let it warm up ( I didn't want to smoke up the garage, I have that small drip coming from the valve cover or cam tower that drips a small amount on the exhaust pipe, so small and only after it sits for more than a few days, I'm not sure if it bothers me enough to have fixed). The car idled great and ran great when I took it for a short spin, but one of the things I want to do to get it ready for this season is throw a new set of spark plugs and maybe wires since it's a fairly simple thing to do. Does anyone have a recommendation for plugs or wires for a 95 S4s. Any input is appreciated.

Hollis

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt,

I currently run the Denzo Iridium IW20 plug in my 94 S4. As of this time I have approximately 10K miles on the plugs. So far I have been quite happy with them. Improved fuel economy and bit more power due to design. Wires I am getting ready to change to the Magnacor KV85 wires after doing a bit of research.

Christopher

I use irridium plugs too mate and would fully recommend them. they do give better performance or fuel economy, whichever you prefer to use, but are a bit more expensive.

Here they call tehm quarter mile plugs... all the boy racers use them to do quarter mile times and then change em back for general use

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Thanks for the input. Everything I've read up on seems to favor the Iridium plugs. Christopher..... were you able to buy the Denzo plugs here in the states? I haven't had a chance to shop around yet, but maybe you can save me some time. I did come across some Champion Iridium on one site, but will go with the Denzo if I can find them.

Matt

I use irridium plugs too mate and would fully recommend them. they do give better performance or fuel economy, whichever you prefer to use, but are a bit more expensive.

Here they call tehm quarter mile plugs... all the boy racers use them to do quarter mile times and then change em back for general use

Justin

Got a part number Justin? maybe NGK or Bosch.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Matt,

Purchase in the States. Located them out of California from seller on eBay. Set was $39 USD plus the shipping fees. I attempted to find them locally here in the Washington DC Metropolitan area but had no such luck.

Christopher

• 4 months later...

I've just fitted Denso Iridium IW20 plugs, will report back in due course on how they perform :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I thought it was best to stick to the original specs? Something to do with temperatures. I found iridium plugs in my car and changed them back to original spec.

Doesn't Justin's comments ring any alarms?

Cheers.

Ian.

His first paragraph perhaps means more the context of iridium plugs and that comment reflects to me that the boy racers use them as their Sunday best, not wishing to waste such expensive spark plugs on general use. Read his post again, especially the first bit :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Nothing different to just having another set of new plugs, it's always started on the button to be honest anyway and I'll struggle to notice 0.3% increase in power and efficiency. I'm just happy knowing I got the best ones I can I guess for now! :)

Evora NA

Yeh allthe information i got fromt eh auto parts supplier said that that was the case.

Boy racers use them for the 1/4 mile and take them out again purely for economical reasons.

Great for the straight but too expensive for daily commuting.

I have done about 10k with mine and no adverse issues to date ( touch wood)

HTH

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...