free hit
counters
Brake Dust - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Brake Dust

I have always had genuine lotus brake pads fitted to my '86 S3 N/A on the basis that you shouldn't muck about with saftey.

However, I'm getting tired of having to wash the front (BBS) wheels every time I've been out due to black brake dust making them look unslightly.

If I can remember correctly non lotus front pads such as 'Green Stuff' claims not to give off brake dust.

What's the view on these?

Thanks in advance

Bazza

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green stuff pads are magic! When I fitted them it produced a definite

improvement in braking and I haven't noticed any brake dust problems. Highly recommended.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

i use a kevlar brakepad on the rears. less dust and longer wearing. no noticeable performance change. the rear brakes on my car don't seem to do much.

the green stuff pads do give off dust. but the dust is totally pulverised, and doesn't clog up the discs. i think they wear faster than the stock pads. i've seen them make a mess too on electrostatic days.

Edited by teigan

if the weather is wiggy, the green dust sticks to everything with static charges; like the car body, and especially the rubber tyres and bumper. a friend had the greens on his bmw m5, and there was green fuzz everywhere. driving fast didn't shake it off. he had to use a feather duster and with limited success. but if you track your car, get the green stuff. it's worth the money.

• 3 months later...

Where do you guys get your Greenstuffs from?

I think I need fronts for my '86 Turbo

....and possibly rears too!!!

What do I order and from whom?

Who seems to be doing the good prices on them atm?!

Thanks guys!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I was pretty disappointed with the greenstuff pads. Honestly couldn't feel the difference in performance. Brake dust was reduced though but not eliminated.

Fishy - www.ebcbrakes.com

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks Pete - I just ordered a set from SJ! So I'll see if I notice a difference!

As long as they're no worse!

They only sodl the normal rears so I got those - they insisted it didn't matter having matched front-back 'brands' - or at least, not in this application....

Has anyone written guide to replacing those confounded inboard rears?

Please tell me I won't have to arse about bleeding the brakes?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

No you wont have to Arse around bleeding the brakes. but you might have to pull the caliper right away to screw the adjuster back in so you can get the new pads in.

I like the Lotus spec. Ferodo Pads :P

I have never suffered from black sh*t all over my (white painted) BBS rims.

I cant be all that hard on brakes :blink:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Guest Troy Halliday

When I uprated my front disks I opted for hawk performance pads. I look forward to seeing what they are like. Funny thing is I will have no point of reference for any of my mods. I'll have to kidnap one of you guys when it is all run in and not let you out untill you tell me if there is any difference :blink:

Blast.... Ferodo's - I forgot about those! I had always meant to buy them instead!