free hit
counters
Ok, so we're all tiny and light, whats the pay off? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ok, so we're all tiny and light, whats the pay off?

There's a calculator here, it's not perfect, but it's general enough to get an idea,

without having a thread of charts and people talking about air temps on the day

and taking it too serious etc... But as a rough guide:

:blush:

http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

Was wondering when i gave up the (170mph) Esprit, what kind of performance

level i was getting in terms of power to weight on the Elise, as there had to be a

trade off on going nearly half the weight.

My stock SE at 264 and weight of 1305kg puts out roughly 205bhp per ton.

The Elise dyno'd at 170bhp and weighing 770kg comes in at 224bhp per ton.

So aside from the obvious lack of top end and turbo, i'm not too down really,

and interestingly (and god knows how as it can't know if i have the close ratio

box or not and stuff like that), the other stats are pretty much bang on too...

Would be interested if some of you clamheads would fire you info into it and

see what you get, Kimbers must be pretty high.

I used kerb weight and full tank figures on mine BTW.

:harhar:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my Esprit currently weighs in at an estimated 800kg and with approx 220hp that makes it 279.41bhp per ton.

Wow an estimated 0-60 time of 4.28 secs :harhar:

Beat that Pauly :blush:

Oh, does it matter that the engine is in the dining room in bits and the wheels and suspension are in the cupboard under the stairs?

It does?

Bugger!!!!! That will increase the weight of the car significantly then! :)

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Well mine has 240bhp but a weight of around 890 which gives me 273.99 per ton.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I've decided that Simon350s can be our Little lotus chat room mascot.

:)

It's an easy job, all you have to do is visit the Little lotus chat room once

a day, post on a thread about Elises and Exiges and do this, again and again:

In bits, you car is exactly as fast as my fridge.

220 BHP and a weight of 875 KG works out at 255.46... B)

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Make way for the fat boys..... :harhar:

My fastest is the Carlton - 377bhp 1663KG gives 230 BHP per ton....but I accept not really very nimble in this company

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Mine's been dyno'd at 400BHP and it's a GT so that's 1325KG = 301BHP/Ton

Oh then I forgot that I have a rear wing and air con but lighter wheels and no spare wheel, so I reckon it's upto 1350KG so that still 296BHP/Ton.

But going back to standard figures, the GT at 350BHP and 1325KG still comes out at a healthy 264BHP/Ton.

David

If you've bought a Liz because of it's power to weight ratio then you've missed the point of the car altogether.

Not making any kind of point mate, just a non serious tech topic in the little lotus

area to see how the various spec engined Elise and Exige compare to each other*.

Nowt more.

*with a few 'little lotus' Esprits and the Odd Carlton as welcome visitors!

My S2 comes out at 205.4 per tonne. Not bad for a 1.8 :harhar:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Ok the sport 160 weighs 690 and has 160 bhp

So

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 160

Weight without Driver (KG) : 690

Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 235.61

0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.83

0 - 100 (Secs) : 12.83

60 - 100 (Secs) : 7.99

Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.27

Terminal Speed (MPH) : 101.72

Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.17

Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 102.93

The V8 is probably about the same as superdaves so that will be about 300bhp per ton

The target once the chargecoolers are in though appears to be about 465bhp which would give me the 350bhp per ton I would like. I think that's about as far as I would go with it though as serious engine mods would be needed then.

I think the 235bhp of the elise is fantastic though. They are a likkle road rocket!! Trouble is it all happens over 6k rpm so great on the track lol

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Are you Exige owners sure about your vehicle's weight? According to the Lotus website the Exige S' unladen weight is 935kg. Saying that, I'm still not sure what my Esprit weighs. Each time the V8 weight is discussed the data just seems to contradict the previous set of data.

Interesting stuff...

S1 Elise. Taken unlaiden weight from the service manual. I've got my corner weight data somewhere but that had me in it and a half tank of fuel. The calculator asks for weight without driver - so 755kg has been used... results:

Power at Flywheel (BHP): 217

Weight without Driver (KG) : 755

Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 292.03

0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.15

0 - 100 (Secs) : 10.57

60 - 100 (Secs) : 6.41

Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.54

I'd agree that that's there abouts B)

Are you Exige owners sure about your vehicle's weight? According to the Lotus website the Exige S' unladen weight is 935kg. Saying that, I'm still not sure what my Esprit weighs. Each time the V8 weight is discussed the data just seems to contradict the previous set of data.

Peter you're right...just found a supplement page in the manual for the Exige S...935-949Kg it says

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

My 88 esprit on paper is 215 bhp at 1300 plus Kg which is the same as RX8 mazda its not that great, but it drive well above the numbers, it pull strong from 2000 rpm to 7000 rpm, it torque that makes this difference and makes a car quick through corners not power to weight.

Steve

I would say that torque might make a car quick out of a corner not through a corner but your point is right. You can't predict a car's performance just from one number like power-to-weight. A turbo engine will have a fatter torque curve than a normally-aspirated engine that gives the same power as the NA engine will have to rev more quickly to achieve its peak power. What is important is the area under the curve or the sum of the engine outputs at all the speeds you pass through.

Power-to-weight will work, though, when you are comparing similar types of engines in different cars.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

There's a calculator here, it's not perfect, but it's general enough to get an idea,

without having a thread of charts and people talking about air temps on the day

and taking it too serious etc... But as a rough guide:

:):D :D

I know a few of you guys like technical perfection, but as i said right at the start

this is a 'general', 'rough', not 'perfect' and 'not too serious' guide. For a bit of 'fun'

If you guys want a all data, torque, air temp, final drive / whatever exact thread

then this aint it!

It's in a chat room...

I did not want some long boring techy thread with the same ten guys chucking graphs

and sensor stats at each other, there's enough of those, and this ain't pretending to be

one, if it was i would not be reading it myself.

:D

Hippo, the unladen weight is effected by many things, especially packs. The performance pack and sport pack can effect the weight, as can A/C, Forged alloys and CAT 2 exhaust.

I have the wheels and Exhaust with a saving of circa 20kgs overall (these are approximate figures), however I have the A/C which, with a single bound uses up half of that weight saving!

the other thing to take into account is driveability. Theres also driveability to take into account. The S model is all about face ripping amounts of Torque which gives you acceleration in a much broader power band, making better accelration figures easy to achieve for drivers of all skills.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

This may help...

velocity_of_unladen_swallow_tshirt-p235753452669876457t5hl_400.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.