free hit
counters
When is a pie really a pie? - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

When is a pie really a pie?

Katie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the inscription on the can of fizz..."World Famous in New Zealand"!! And I, too, have had one of the pies from the Oxford Covered Market...yum!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I have walked past the pie shop at trentham many times I have yet to go in, looks too posh for a pie shop to be honest, however I will also offer to bring Katie a pie as its only a 15 min drive away...

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Bacon and egg pie??????

Why the heck don't we have that here!! Hang on a sec......put beans in it for juiceyness and you have an all day breakfast pie! My mouth is watering around my Apple (I'm on a died too.....).

For those who don't know about it, we have a sort of a pie here called a cornish Pasty. Filled with meat, veggies and potato and wrapped in pastry it is one of lifes great pleasures! Its a great all in one meal, as long as the mix is right. I've had some good, some bad and some fantastic ones!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Good grief are you guys on a quest to make me fat or something?

First choice...steak and ale

Second choice..steak and stilton

Third choice...steak and onion

Just steak really! Okay, I submit. No flaming will-power. Paul, I accpet your offer :D

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

It's weird as i'm not a veggie and don't dress funny,

but out of the Pie Minister range, my favorite is the...

...Goats cheese, sweet potato, spinach, red onion and

roasted garlic pie. It's topped with sesame seeds and

they make for a very tasty pastry on that pie.

This is currently the best thread on the Forum Katie,

Well done!

:D

Good grief are you guys on a quest to make me fat or something?

First choice...steak and ale

Second choice..steak and stilton

Third choice...steak and onion

Just steak really! Okay, I submit. No flaming will-power. Paul, I accpet your offer :)

Yes please Steak and stilton for me.

Kimbers, Bacon and Egg pies you will find them in every corner store here. Also butter chicken pies, vegetarian, lamb, venison and wallaby pies :D

Cornish pastries are a big fav here too along with Pork pies which you guys know so well. We also have hot pots mainly found in bar menus, which consist of a ramekin type oven proof bowl filled with rich gravey and meat chunks with a crust of flakey pastry - yum, I would not class this as a pie though. I believe this is a british dish?

Paul agree great thread my mouth is watering and I am about to dribble all over the keyboard and blow a fuse!

350.gifNo.23

Kimbers....an all day breakfast pie....OMG, does such a thing exist? We could be on to something here! Can't really compare an all day breakfast pie with an apple :D I am sat here downing two pints of water in the hope it will make me feel a bit more full; don't like to eat too late.

I think Cornish pasties on the whole are more disappointing; they tend to be a bit dry and the meat more scrag end than the good quality slow cooked tender steak that can be found in a pie.

Kylie...I think you are drawing reference to the non type of pie that offended me so much, I started this thread. THey are simply NOT pies, but I cannot find anything conclusive on the net to back this up. Yes, clearly my life is now so sad I am resorting to researching pie theories!!!

Paul....your veggie pie sounds rather good though I am not a fan of goat's cheese myself. I did however have an extremely nice veggie flavoured pie once....brie, asparagus and mushroom; this had a beautiful flavour but alas, the flaming thing arrived in ceramic dish with lid balanced on top. NOT A PIE, though described as one in the menu.

If you live nearish to Basingstoke, my recommendation is for the Manydown farm shop. Their range of pies is quite superb and the steak....tender as and just falls apart. Beef burgundy is one of my favourites there.

Paul, perhaps I could bring you a sample from there?

Pasties? My dear old Gran, who was a Devon lass through and through, used to say "CORNISH?! What do they buggers know about pasties? Cornish pastie t'aint nuthin' but taters and an Oxo cube!!" You have to attempt the old Devonian accent (sadly, almost gone now) to get the full effect...and her pasties were GREAT! Fortunately, as any criticism would bring an instant response..whatever she happened to be holding (rolling pin, carving knife, saucepan...) would come flying in your direction!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

From the web: ("Sing a song of sixpence")

"During the Medieval times, there were occasions when the cook in the house of a wealthy knight did indeed put live birds (often pigeons, but I'm sure it could just as easily have been blackbirds) inside a huge pastry crust, on his own initiative. This was seen as a great joke and the cook would usually have a real pie waiting to bring in when the birds had been released."

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Two old ladies are walking past a bakers shop,

They have a peek in and see he's busy making

his pies.

To their horror they see the baker take out his

false teeth and press them all around the edge

of the pie to make the rim.

"Thats disgusting!"

Says one of the old ladies to her mate. Her mate

replies:

"If you think thats bad, come back tomorrow when

he's putting the hole in his doughnuts..."

:(

All this pie talk has proved infectious. I was wandering past the traiteur section of my local Auchan supermarket yesterday when I saw their boeuf bourguignon....and the brain went "PIE FILLING!!!!!" So I bought half a kilo....then some kidney....and some pastry....and will assemble myself a pie for lunch tomorrow!! Pies...England's contribution to international cuisine!!

Pie has now been duly assembled and is, even as I type, basking in the heat of the nuclear fired oven..well, it's electric really, but the juice comes from my local Centrale Nucleare.. tastebuds are coming up to Defcon 5 in anticipation. Who said mechanics can't assemble pies?! I even washed my hands after I hauled the gearbox out of my boat.....

LAYDEEZ AN' GENNULMEN.....We at Mole Motors (piemaking division) present...for your visual delectation...the first...the original....the only one in captivity.....the LOTUS ES-PIE!!!

P1000857.jpg

Just as good in the eating, too; there's still half of it left for later today!!

OMG John that's bloody fabulous. And what model of Esprit have we gone for? I based my Esprit biscuit on the S4!! The streamlined nose made it very dunkable into a cup of tea!

Oh dear....I'd hoped it was instantly recognisable as a Giugiaro Turbo! (note upswept spoiler thingy at back and front spoiler under er...well...the front!) Difficult, freehand, in pastry with a modelling knife! Oh yes, it does have Full Pastry Encapsulation, too..but sadly I couldn't buy pastry of a thick enough gauge to allow the pie to be removed intact from the dish...it's about 16 gauge and needs to be at least 8 gauge I would think. Overall I'm quite pleased..not to say smug...with my first efforts at Pie Assembly. Henry Crabbe of "Pie in the Sky" (played by Richard Griffiths, whom I am rapidly beginning to resemble even more closely) would surely approve of the results....

Talking of which, about time I finished it off!! Must select a suitable bottle of Burgundy...

Looked like an early S3 Turbo to me with that duck tail, tasty too :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

What about shepherd's pie and cottage pie? They don't have any pastry at all. The problem is usually that what is called "shepherd's" pie is made with minced beef rather than minced lamb (or mutton) which gives it its name.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I've had two Capris...maybe a bit of subconcious cross fertilization? One cost me