free hit
counters
Rattling Cats vs. Rattling Heat Shields - How can you tell which? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rattling Cats vs. Rattling Heat Shields - How can you tell which?

Can someone please advise on the difference in sound between a rattling cat vs. a rattling heat shield on a V8? Better yet, can someone please post a picture of heat shields on a V8, so I know where they are?

I have a rattling sound -- sounds like marbles in a can -- and I'm thinking it's the $$$ cat that needs to be replaced. I'm going for aftermarket high-flow cats. But I don't want to spend the money if it's just the heat shields.

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are small metal rings (those should hold the catalyst monolith in place) who sounds like marbles if the catalyst is fully hollowed out. Just undo your catalysts -shake them, an if it sound like sand running on a plate there is still some of the ceramic substance in it. Bud that 'powder' is useless for you. Look from behind or into the o2-sensor holes and try to get the rest of it out.

Than you will have *free flow* pipes :)

As others have said : The heat-shields on the exhaust manifolds are mostly bend and broken by the different heat behavior of the exhaust to heatshield material. So those will not exactly rattle like 'sand/marbles in a can'.

here you can see what i have done now on both sides, the small black metal rings are original. I have replaced the rest of the ceramic monolith with some internals of after market 'race type' metal catalysts .

just cut the end of OEM and universal-fit aftermarket parts off, reassemble it all and weld everything in place.

BILD0164.JPG

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..