free hit
counters
Couple Of Issues - ABS Light and Stuck Accelerator - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Couple Of Issues - ABS Light and Stuck Accelerator

Hello!

A couple of issues, hope someone can help:-

1) When I push the car hard under acceleration (only seems to occur in 5th gear and 100MPH+), the ABS warning light comes on (the light goes out on the next restart). The garage replaced the front right ABS Sensor when I went to collect the car and I have some signal related problems appearing on my Racelogic Traction system (ie connected laptop into the device and used the real time graph, front right wheel showing spikes which is causing problems with the traction system). I

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Buckie,

Is your car Rob Baker's old V8 in Titanium by ane chance? It's the only V8 I can think of which had this racelogic system fitted that's been up for sale?

It does sound like either a sensor/wiring problem or the gap/tooth problem on your hub. It could be corroded or full of crud. If the gap isn't right this can cause problems too but There's no way to adjust it properly.

As for your throttle, you need to make sure your cable is adjusted right and not being stretched. Get someone to sit in your car and press the accellerator whilst your check the play/tension at the engine end. You have to make sure that the accellerator arm isn't being stretched when putting your foot fully on the pedal. Try half way down then 3/4 and see if you still have movement on the accellerator arm.

Your outer cable at the back of the engine fits into a slot with notches on the outer cable every couple of millimetres. You can pull the cable out and move it down a couple of notches to slacken the cable off a bit.

You can also double check the adjustment using an OBDII scanner and making sure you aren't reaching 100% throttle before your foot hits the floor.

If in doubt, take it to a garage.

Regards,

David Walters

Thanks Dave....

Yes, this was Rob's old car which was one of the first to have Racelogic Traction fitted. It's a nice bit of kit but the car started to kangaroo at around 2K revs. the garage who sold me the car made me aware of this and advised to turn the unit off. Once I got the car back to Edinburgh, I spoke with Racelogic (who remembered the car and Rob very well). They provided me the management software which provides a real-time graph. It was obvious from the output the front right wheel was showing spikes of signal levels from 2K-3K revs which then fired off the traction (ie thought the wheels were spinning). The garage made me aware they replaced the front right sensor a day or so before I collected the car so must be the same issue. I will get the garage to check out the sensor and clean up etc, hope this works.

Concenring the cable, thanks for the advice, this was appreciated!

Did you know Rob well???? He spent so much money on this car, obviously loved it!.

Cheers

Hi buckie,

I knew Rob a little bit, couldn't say I knew him well. I met him about half a dozen times and exchanged several emails.

I have considered this Racelogic system myself but I've heard a few owners either not installing it or taking it off their cars. I may have my wires crossed about this but Iam sure this is what I heard.

Are you gooing to Donnington this year? If so, I'll be on the PNM Engineering stand once again. Come over and say hello, Iam the tall one! I have the same colour car as yours as does Alan Croft who will also be on the PNM stand.

David Walters

Hi...

Sure, would be nice to meet everyone and say hello!

Do you work for PNM?? Reason I ask, I have an order in for x2 Decat pipes, been speaking to a nice chap over the phone who is helping me out with the order (I have been nagging a little as I'm really wanting to fit them).

Racelogic unit is really good and works well (when set above this initial spike error for the ABS sensor). With luck, the garage can sort out that front sensor and I can lower the entry point to 2K revs rather than 3K.

Cheers

Hi Buckie,

Sorry I don't work for PNM, only voluteer on the Lotus show weekend because it gets my Esprit on a stand and I enjoy talking about Lotus to people!

However I may see Pete at PNM later today or definately tomorrow so I will mention it.

I do know he's been chasing the pipe manufacturer every few days and it's in their hands.

I will have a look at the Racelogic info soon and see if it's right for me and my car.

Regards,

David Walters