free hit
counters
HUB LOOSE - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I noticed the left rear wheel had a decent amount of side to side play. Upon further inspection, I have found the hub is a bit loose.

Does anyone know the size of the nut holding the rear hub? Appears to be about 31mm. I will need to purchase a separate socket for this as mine only go to 28mm.

Also, with the car jacked up, should I just apply the brakes to tighten the nut so as not to spin the hubs?

Thank you for any information

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Dont bother jacking the car up, simlply apply the handbrake with the car on the ground and tighten it up :D way you get good pressure aplied and dont run the risk of the car slipping of the jack aswell!

Also have a good look to make sure the bearings ok, Im always curious when things come loose on the drivetrain as its normally a sign of something not been right! i.e bearing damaged, Hope its only loose though and nothing serious. If needs be check the other side and looks for differences!

Regards danny

A

Yeah mine used to do that as well - tips :

Take the old nut off - clean the thread of grease and anti-seize (this seems to help it work loose).

Gent a new nylock nut - dont use any anti-seize on it.

Tighten the bugger up - Lotus told me you cannot really over tighten that nut - as correctly stated it is about 270 NM, I used to take mine down to Lotus to be checked and they told me to use a 2 ft bar and a socket to just swing on it.

Finally mark the nut and the shaft with a paint pen so next time you check on the hub nut you can see whether it has come undone or not - I check mine every month or so now but it's never moved again.

Lay off the anti-seize :D

facebook = [email protected]

Thanks for the info! Nut is 30mm. I first torqued it to 150lbs and that took over half a turn so it was quite loose. I then finished the torque to 200lbs. Nice and snug now with no play.

-Good idea to take the nut off and replace as noted and maybe fit a locking one over it.

I'll definitely keep my eye on it. 2002 with only about 9k miles.

BTW, the passenger side...nice and tight there.