free hit
counters
Dry Sump T.E. Revival - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Dry Sump T.E. Revival

Been splitting my time between the Esprit and Eclat but the Esprit needs to progress or I won't have it done for Donnington. Got a Friday night and Saturday morning on the front suspension and made reasonable progress, just need to tighten all the bushing bolts once the wheels are on and at the correct ride height. I went for the Protech shock from SJ and as can be seen from one of the pics, I am not sure the adjustable function will be used much as this will be very difficult to get to in situ. Inner lower link bushes gave me the most trouble with the anti roll bar bushes running a close second. Quite a struggle to get them past the first 90 degree bend of the bar. I will take some more pictures of the competed refit and some of the rear.

The engine has bee out courtesy of Sparky and Wookie so once the rear suspension is on I can fit the Exhaust down pipe and have it running on Tuesday night :o . New S4 Manifold, Turbo and correct cam timing,should go quite nicely.

Trevor

103_1979.jpg

103_1985.jpg

103_1987.jpg

103_1990.jpg

103_1808.jpg

103_1854.jpg

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Since Trevor has now finished his suspension, we went round tonight to get the Esprit started for the first time. Or not.

Couldn't get the engine to fire up - sounded like only one cylinder was working. Checked absolutely everything, culminating in a compression check, revealing zero on cyls 1, 2 and 3. So we checked valve clearances, and this is what we found:

Inlet 5, 5, 3, 10, 6, 7, 5, 5 spec. 5-7 thou - reasonable

Exhaust 0, 0, 9, 0, 0, 0, 7, 10 spec. 10-12 thou - wtf? (0 means thinnest feeler gauge couldn't be inserted, so valve is likely open)

Didn't check these with the engine out as I prefer to do them insitu, and I've never had clearances change so much that the engine won't start! Any suggestions as to how the clearances should have changed so much, and only on the exhaust tower? First time it's happened to me in over 30 years.

Meanwhile, we desperately need a bucket of shims. Where can I get them quickly?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Ooh yar - spot on. The issue is now compression. Believe the answer is within reach, but just ran out of time to investigate and confirm last night. Tomorrow night may see it sorted, and I'll report back accordingly with details!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Good news - engine's now running beautifully. Trevor just has to get the wheels on and set the suspension, then it's test drive time.

Chris and I will put together a narrative and plenty of photos for this one - there were some fascinating bits!

Gary,

Took the wheels up the garage this evening and managed to get 90 minutes on the car. Brakes are now bled and wheels on, spring platforms roughly adjusted. I now need to take the car around the car park to settle the suspension and re-adjust the height of the rear. Looks a little high to me at the moment.

Trevor.

103_2043.jpg

103_2039.jpg

Nice to hear you like it. I picked up a model of exactly my car when I was in Merritts Amersham and it had gold wheels. I knew the bronze For Your Eyes Only car had gold wheels but never seen a white one. They were black centers and then diamond cut when I bought it but needed a refurb and I wanted to lift the car a little. Got to say that in the garage the jury is still out as I am not sure if they are little "Pimp My Ride". Opinions for a bit of fun?. Promise I wont take offence.

Trevor.

• Gold FFM

I wasn't sure when I saw the wheels in the back of your car today, but I think they look really good fitted!

Lovely mate, they look really good ;)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The wheels look fabulous mate, very James Bond. The white one in the film I'm pretty sure did not have gold centres, but it suits it all the same. So pleased you blacked your bumpers, for the genuine look the wing mirrors need the same treatment but that's up to you. The whole car is one of the nicest I've seen, and the choccy brown interior is just orgasmic.

I think your front wheels might be replacements, the bolts sit in the coloured section whereas the original Essex/Drysump were slightly different (like your rears);

Essex-Spec-Sheet_01.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

LooseCannon

I am not sure if the fronts are original or not and it's difficult to tell from pics on the net if the centers are mounted on the front as mine are or the rear. I do remember the guy at Compomotive saying there were two types when I inquired about a refurb. It could be that you can't see the front mounted centers in your picture if they have been painted and the the face diamond cut?

Trevor.

Edited by Trevsked

Car now about ready for the road and off to the MOT station tomorrow. Ride heights need to be finalised as the front is not adjustable and seems to be a little high and therefore dictates the rear ride height. Hoping it will settle after a while but to be honest not holding my breath.

I am indebted to Sparky and Wookie for their invaluable help and encouragement without whom the job would have "traveled" to say the least. Both are putting something together describing the journey from "it's got a slight blow from one of the exhaust studs, do you fancy sorting it?" to where we are now with a car that looks no different but has had a considerable amount of work completed. More thanks also to Internets for the loan of his new engine hoist and pointing skills :) .

Wookie once asked when he thought the end was in sight if I would have done things any different and of course there is never a choice but to do it properly, so the answer was no. The purchase of the scissor lift was an inspired move and very happy with it and the worst purchase had to be the parts washer, hardly used it. Equal first place to the lift was the 20 tonne hydraulic press without which the job would not be finished now.

Trevor.

• Gold FFM

No worries Trev - it was a fun-filled journey. I trust all will go well on the MoT tomorrow. Looks like I'll be getting a lookover at the same time, as they allegedly have a bed for me in the morning. Hope to hear it's passed when I wake up!

Anytime Trevor, it was fun..good luck with the MOT, lets hope you can bring your car on Sunday :)

. Looks like I'll be getting a lookover at the same time, as they allegedly have a bed for me in the morning. Hope to hear it's passed when I wake up!

Fingers crossed for you, So no Sparky or Wookie on Sunday after all then?

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Back of the net. All MOTed up and been out for a drive on a beautiful day, what more could you ask. Pleased with the suspension but it is a little high at the moment. Time will tell.

Car will be there on Sunday and I am sure if there is any way Sparky can be there I am sure he will.

Trevor.

:):(:)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.