free hit
counters
1976 S1 Interior rear view mirror - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1976 S1 Interior rear view mirror

Hey everybody,

I want my S1 to be as original as it was back in 1976.

Somehow I have the feeling that my interior rear view mirror isn't attached to the windscreen like it was in 76 /should be.

It's attached/glued with some sticky white/yellow material (the type that's sticky on both sides) and it bothers me as it can be seen from the outside and I haven't been able to match that finish with pics I have of other original S1 (tartan interior etc.. i.e unrestored).

Any input would be much appreciated.

Could someone with an original S1 show me the finish on his and tell me how to to come as close as possible to the original way the mirror was attached?

Is it directly glued on the windscreen or is there a piece of 'fabric' between the mirror and the windscreen?

Once I know, the plan is to remove the yellow sticky stuff with a razor-blade and clean everything with alcohol or any other stuff and attach it the way it should be.

hems1rearviewmirr.jpg

All the best.

Edited by Hemlock

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car (1976 chassis #129G) has the mirror screwed into a piece of wood which is stuck to the inside of the roof. It doesn't attach to the glass at all.

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hello Paul,

thanks for the reply.

Do you think you could snap a photo for me so I could see?

(even with a cell phone or anything)

ATB

It should be bolted with 2 screws into the ceiling between the sun visors, and has a "spur" with a rubber end that rests against the windscreen.

The factory did have a lot on sale for

Mines attached to the window also, you will know if yours originaly was screwed to the roof as there will be two holes between the sunvisors

Hope this helps

Matt

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

Yep, the early cars had them stuck to the glass.... if you contact one of the windscreem replacement people they will give you a black double sided pad that sticks it in place.

Yep, the early cars had them stuck to the glass.... if you contact one of the windscreem replacement people they will give you a black double sided pad that sticks it in place.

Gordon

I would have said that the early cars had it screwed in the ceiling. My car is the 30th off the production line and has it in the ceiling. Obviously it's not as early as yours, as you have the first, so where is yours mounted?

Mine also does not have a bit which sticks out of the mirror and pushes against the glass. It doesn't touch it at all.

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Paul

One thing i have found out about the way the Lotus built the cars back in the 70's is that they used what they had to hand and what was available from the suppliers.

I would assume that one batch of cars came through with one type of mirror and then the next batch with another... i think the same goes for the cars when they were changing over from S1 to S2 etc ... it was a gradual change over with some S1's having some S2 parts and some S2's having some S1 parts.

I think in general the green / tartan cars had the glass mounted mirror but i had a friend who had a white 77 S1 with brown / cream interior that had the roof mounted mirror.

My car is still at the factory so i cant get a close up pic but these may help.....

Mirror3.jpg

Mirror2.jpg

mirror.jpg

Just noticed this by the way..... same mirror fitted to a JPS Europa... using up old stock on the early Esprits no doubt!

JPSMirror.jpg

Edited by GordonMasson

Thanks a bunch for all the replies and the help everyone.

Mines attached to the window also, you will know if yours originaly was screwed to the roof as there will be two holes between the sunvisors

Hope this helps

Matt

I just checked my car and there is no holes between the sunvisors, so there is no way the mirror was originally attached to the ceiling/screwed to the roof.

Gordon, thanks for the pics.

I assume the pad on mine was replaced at some point with the yellow stuff.

All the best.

Gordon

Hmmm... that's interesting that yours is on the glass. I'm now wondering if my mind is playing tricks on me and mine was also on the glass (it was over 2 years ago that I took it off) so I'm going to have to find it and have a look. However, I know for sure there is a wooden strip on the roof and I'm certain it was srewed to that.

Cheers, Paul.

The wooden strip on the roof does have screws holding the front cap rail/trim in place.

The cap rail has the sun visors fitted to it.

My S2 had the mirror glued to the windscreen. It also had a bracket screwed to the header rail in front of the clock with a slot into which a mirror stalk could fit. Of course, I have no idea whether the mirror or bracket were original.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE