free hit
counters
What is this ? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rogerch

What is this ?

On the bottom side of the plenum there is an hose take off 10mm id It passes through the engine bay side panel above the fuel tank into what looks like a very small 12V motor, them into something that looks like a fuel filter but isn't (it has electrical leads coming out of it) then the hose become a translucence hose smaller id and disappears through the wheel arch. It's all very convoluted may well be a sauce of pressure leak from the plenum, so what's it do and do I need it? :thumbup:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Piccy would help too, doesn't sound standard to me!

Charcoal canister/evaporative loss system plumbing? The fuel filter type thingy might well be the roll over valve.

Looking at the parts diagram there is a purge hose from the inlet manifold that wanders off to a 6mm to 4mm reducer and then on to the canister.

A picture speaks.........

breather.jpg

The hose comes off the bottom of the plenum. Just above the trunking for the air filter a little 12v something or other connected to what looks like a filter but isn't because it also has electrical connections then the translucent small diameter hose that disappears into I think the wheel arch.

For navigation purposes that is the drivers side seat belt coil upper centre.

It seems like a way to loose pressure in the plenum? Can I loose it.

Roger

Roger

Looks like the purge pump to me. It's there to remove hot gasses from the plenum to make hot starting easier - although mine is disconnected and I don't have a problem. It should be attached to one of the heat switches on the water pipe (middle one I think) and tends to switch itself off when temperature drops to 65 degrees.

HTH

Matt :thumbup:

I'm going to blank off the hole in the bottom of the plenum, and if there are no ill effects, get rid of the rest of it. If it were an air pump that just pumped whilst cranking it would make sense to aid induction until the turbo starts to spin and could only blow. But I've put a bike pump on it and got no compression so figure it's leaking pressure from the plenum. :)

Update. I put it back together this afternoon, with the hole in the plenum blanked off. So far no detriment on starting, in fact if anything a slight improvement. I'll see what happens when I get the boost up. Roger :)

As Matt says it's definitely the purge pump. :)

As long as you have no problems with hot starting it's fine to disconnect and blank off the hole.

One less place for boost to escape. :)

My old Dad says 'If it 'aint broke, don't fix it!'

But I know how you boys like to 'fiddle' (oooh errr sounds a bit rude)

Good luck hope it goes ok

Sue

I'm starting a collection, cold start idle up solenoid gone, plenum purge pump gone. In this case, no ill effects, starts well when hot, at 20 years of age I'm not convinced it was working, certainly didn't seem to be sealing, I'm probably kidding myself but I seem to see more boost. :)