free hit
counters
Fuel Vapor lines - S3 Turbo - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BadWolf

Fuel Vapor lines - S3 Turbo

Hi all ,

Since I picked up my Esprit on friday I have noticed a a fuel smell around the car more than I would of expected. After doing a bit of research I have found that my Vapor lines are not only perished but have totally fallen apart in places! :thumbup:

Anyone have some recommendations on what I should use for replacement ? Where I would be best to get replacements and .. oh yeh.. What and how they should be connected back together ?

Im using my 2.2 esprit workshop manual as more of a helpful ideas guide as of course some things are different.

Any help would be great.

Regards,

Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I just used regular clear lines on my car... though I would think using proper fuel line is a better idea. My lines were also completely desintegrated.

Thanks to Graeme I have contacted Steve from Lotus Marques. He is sending me a replacement vapour hose.

It seems that someone once did a half hearted fix and ran another hose (standard lotus part) in tandem with the original leaving 2 in place! Then for some strange reason ran approx 30 cm of fuel hose where it connects to the tank between the 'fisk tank hose' and the fuel tank. Or maybe that was some strange lotus revision at some point ?

From what I can make out the Vapour hose just connects the 2 tanks together in a single line and is used to help with the fuel balancing between the 2 saddle tanks ?

BTW who ever said removing those 1/4 engine bay panels was easy is using some new redefinition of the word Easy :devil:

Quick pic of the replaced part of hose. It seems to be screwed in place at the back behind the black bar

post-5360-1238114294_thumb.jpg

and the nasty 2 hoses that has now been removed.

post-5360-1238114314_thumb.jpg

There should be two lines across the car...one comes from the left tank, via an anti surge valve to a tee piece..from which two lines cross the car. One goes to the right hand tank via another anti surge valve, and the line from the vertical of the tee piece crosses the car and then exits down by the right hand rear wheel and forms the actual vent opening. Confusing, isn't it?!! As for the engine bay panels, there's a knack to it..which I have never found; every time I remove or refit them I just heave and curse and then, all of a sudden, they are either out or in and I can never work out exactly what I did that worked!!

Yes :D

Im now very confused. Specially as there is nothing on the car to guide me as as the lines were totally disintegrated and in parts in the body :devil: . Looks as if the original hardware was also replaced at some point as their are no tee pieces just clips that were used to hold the hose on.

Big ask here. Is it possible for anyone to draw a quick diagram of how I should put her back together ?

Thanks for reading

Mike

Even more confusing , the more I read about this job on the net , the more it seems the job differs slightly between years and models of cars! No matter what, I am enjoying doing the work so thats the good part I guess. And its a good excuse to spend quality time with my new baby :D

Edited by BadWolf

Common fault. Both of mine fell appart and have been replaced. Must have been some junk that Lotus got cheap.

Roger ,

Thanks so much for that. Makes perfect sense now :) Will be able to fix most of it today. I live in a town house and the constant smell of fuel getting into my lounge room was starting to disturb me. haha

Still waiting to see some pics matey!

Well the delay in pics is a long story! :P

The rear window in the esprit came loose the same day I picked her up , then I noticed that the fuel vapour line was shot. Because I purchased the car from another state I have to re-register the car from scratch. The rear window and fuel lines are would of been road worthy (similar to MOT) fails. I am trying to fix that and some cockpit issues (rear view mirror loose and shaky another fail item) and a few other things before I can do rego.

So at the moment she's just sitting in my garage. If I take pix in there it looks quite sad and miserable. Ill see what I can do later this morning to get some light in there enough to get a semi-decent snapshot or 2 :yes:

Edited by BadWolf

Must have been some junk that Lotus got cheap.

I think plastics and fuel is a hard mix. But as material technology has moved on I think with a good quality fuel pipe they should last a bit longer, but dont forget these cars are about 25 years old.

Here's Some pix of the Car as promised. Some were taken before I took possession of the Esprit. I will get some more sweeping and interesting pics once I have her back on the road :)

post-5360-1240698790_thumb.jpg

post-5360-1240698771_thumb.jpg

post-5360-1240698537_thumb.jpgpost-5360-1240698706_thumb.jpgpost-5360-1240698811_thumb.jpg