free hit
counters
Reverse gear iffy on my 84 Turbo - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

Reverse gear iffy on my 84 Turbo

The 5 forward gears on my 84 Turbo are fine, but reverse is only just meshing and even so I have to hold the gear lever down to stay in reverse.

If I have to reverse up a slight incline, no amount of holding the gear lever will keep in in reverse and it jumps out.

I have tried lengthening the throw, but to no avail. Is this a gearbox out job?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Most likely lost motion in the linkage or bad adjustment, in my opinion. Try disconnecting the linkage from the gearbox and engaging reverse using just the levers on the box..if that gives you a reliable reverse gear then you've proved it's a linkage problem, if not it'll be the box itself..you may be able to see something by engaging reverse from the lever, then grovelling underneath and seeing if you can move the levers further by hand in the direction they are trying to go. You can do this without jacking the car up, too!

Yes, have tried both of your suggestions, but only "just" engaging. I have to park where I do not have to reverse.

I do not know the layout of a gearbox and cannot understand why 2nd and 4th engage well, but reverse does not.

My one problem where I live is to find someone who I could trust with the car, yet alone look at the gearbox.

Regards

It's possible that the reverse gear selector has got disturbed inside the gearbox...you can remove the top of the gearbox quite easily and the selector actuating mechanism comes off with it. I think the reverse selector fork is clamped to the reverse selector shaft; may have moved a bit...suggest you engage reverse gear then pull the top off the box and see what the gear engagement looks like..also check the reverse selector shaft relay dog (great names, these!) which is actuated by the gearshift mechanism in the box top. Really, once you have the top off, you'll see how it all works and should be able to get an idea of the problem. It may just need something repositioned and tightened...I like cures like that!!

Also have a look at Giorgio's thread.. http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=21390 ....He has some good photos, one shows the reverse selector mechanism in the top left corner.

hi, sounds like a crossgate problem, adjustment needed,just done it myself and reverse was not there at all, although 5th was. a turn of the nut and it was back,too much slack and you could lose 5th, and reverse, not a difficult job,just time.