free hit
counters
Limited boost - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Che

Limited boost

I can't boost more than 5 psi. I don't have Cel code. I checked all the hoses and they seems very tight. Wastegate is functioning well.

Do you think I should use a more advance scanner like freescan, perhaps there are other problems that are not showing up from the generic reader?

Do you think my car in limp mode?

I appreciate for any feedback.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What do the wastegate capsules look like?

They are notorious for leaks, weak springs etc that will result in reduced boost.

I put a hand pump and registering around 11 to 12 --the rod start moving at that psi.

I just ran out of idea.

I thought the waste gates should start to open at around 5psi?? The solenoid would then control the capsules pressure to give the max boost.

12 psi should be maximum boost. Someone will be along to confirm soon I expect.

If you can achieve 12 psi then it doesnt look as though there is any problem with the capsules or hoses etc.

My apology---yes I checked it again and start moving approx 6 to 7 (maybe the pump is not accurate).

If i keep pumping all the way to 12psi, the rod will open wide.

If you are in limp home mode I would expect the MIL/Check Engine light to be on. I presume that the check engine light does light up during the starting process and then goes out when the car has been started.

Your boost solenoid valve may not be functioning, and hence you only get the max boost your waste-gates are set up for.

Freescan does not work on the V8. You will need to get an OBDII scanner to read the actual boost as seen by the ECU/ECM. The boost gauge on the binnacle isn't always terribly accurate. If you PM me your email address I'll send you details where you can get some free OBDII software that is customised to the V8 Esprit. However, you will need to purchase an ELM323 or ELM327 interface to connect to the car (cheap on Ebay).

Regards,

Peter.