free hit
counters
Replacing Breather Hose - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
caulkhead68

Replacing Breather Hose

I am in the process of replacing (upgrading ?)the brittle plastic breather hose with a new "rubber fuel hose ". The rubber hose is slightly larger outside diameter to the original and may be a tight squeeze to have two hoses running back along the top of the window area.

It then occured to me why there is a " T -piece" on the passenger side breather pipe - this means that an additional pipe is running back along the top of the rear window area before it vents off near the rear offside wheel. (If it helps - Page 44.05 of the parts manual shows the pipe route)

Can I just relocate the "T-piece" to the drivers side and have a single pipe running along the back of the window or is there any engineering reason behind having two pipes along the back of the rear window?

Apologies for my terminology - I hope I've explained it okay

Thanks in advance for any replies

Cheers

Matt :devil:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Toss the 'T's and old plastic clips.

Just replace with the fuel hose and metal clips - easy. Hose just tucks back under the carpet.

FuelHosereplacement.jpg

Simon

Thanks for the quick reply.

However, it looks like your breather hose layout differs slightly from mine (I have a 1988 Carb turbo version) and I'm not sure if the hose arrangement is there for this reason (I admit to not having any technical knowledge on engines and hoses :D )

I've noticed that the breather pipe layout between the two models shown on Page 44.05A from the 88 parts manual and page 44.05A of the 1993 S4 part manual are completely different.

It looks like your hoses were connected from filler pipe to filler pipe without any "T-piece" - but how did it vent to the atmosphere ?? (or am I missing something....)

I would post the relevant page 44.05A on to the site - but am not sure how to do it. :devil:

Matt :D

Yeah - jumped the gun there.

I didn't have any T pieces. I would have thought that you could just discard the Ts.

Can I just relocate the "T-piece" to the drivers side and have a single pipe running along the back of the window or is there any engineering reason behind having two pipes along the back of the rear window?

Hello Matt!

I think you can relocate the T-piece. It doesn't matter where the pipe is as long as you find the route away from the engine compartment.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

Jukka