free hit
counters
2001 Esprit V8 ECU advice - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
2001TTV8LOS

2001 Esprit V8 ECU advice

I own a 2001 Lotus Esprit V8 completely stock. I am looking at possibly doing a ECU upgrade, I would like a little extra boost from the turbos and BOV upgrade. I would like to get this done correctly so that it doesn't hurt the reliability of the engine or gearbox. Any advice on what I should buy will be greatly appreciated.

post-5922-1238092816_thumb.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You will find lots of discussion about this on the forum... Some people like the sport 350 chip and other's like the "Red Race" ECU upgrade... As for the BOV's... I am sure it's possible to install without cutting the "up-pipes"... but I can't see a way at the moment. I suspect that you may want to weld a flange onto the cast alumimun up-pipes and install the BOV's that way. I am currently finishing up a chargecooler upgrade for Aerobat's 2002 -- http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=19113

Hi Carlos,

Nice looking car.

It is possible to have the BOVs fitted to the silicon hose that links the compressor ducts to the throttle body (see http://www.espritperformance.co.uk/ engine section for details). If you want to recirculate the expelled air then I think you need to do a bit of cutting to connect the hose from the BOVs to the air filter boxes. If you want to vent to atmosphere then I don't think you will need to do any cutting.

As Mark says there are varies ECU options. Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to drive them all, so can't really comment on the 'off the shelf' options. If you are brave and have deep pockets you could also go the motec route and replace the standard ecu hardware as well. Best contact Mike Sekinger for the inside knowledge of what is involved.

If you do upgrade your ECU, then in a perfect world, you should also think about a gearbox upgrade. Lotus detuned the V8 so it didn't exceed the Renault torque limits for their gearbox. So when you 'unrestricted' the engine you could face problems. It's not unheard of for the gearbox main shaft to snap. Fortunately, there are a couple of options available that give a stronger main shaft.

As Mark said best have a search on the forum, do a bit of research and then have fun upgrading.

Regards,

Peter.

Just a quick note... the BOV's do not need to recirculate... the engine runs off of a MAP sensor, and not a Mass Air Flow. Recirculating the BOV keeps the turbo spooled a bit, but I doubt you'd notice the effects with such small turbo's and such a large amount of piping.

Hi Mark,

The reason I would probably recirculate is to reduce the "whooosh" noise every time I change gear. However, some may prefer the noise.

If I was racing the car then I'd vent to atmosphere as I'd prefer to not recirculated the heated air back into my turbos. Unless, of course you are clever enough to fit an intercooler!

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by peter_england99

hehe... I see you're point... I haven't figured out a location that would work to use BOV's after the intercoolers yet though... I know it could be done, but you'd probably lose you're trunk.