free hit
counters
one of the belt comes loose? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprithk

one of the belt comes loose?

Hi, I don't know if this has anything to do with my recent service of "refurbishing the alternator"??

anyway, during the beginning of a drive (after the car has been parked for more than 2 hours or for days)

I can hear a belt spinning loosely at the back, and ithe spinning noise does not stop even when I am engaging 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear....

but after my car has been run for about 5 minutes, everything is normal again.

no belt spinning sound even between traffic lights stop n go...

so I don't understand about this bizzard scenario.....

usually, if it's an air-conditioner belt that comes loose, the belt should make this spinning sound in every stop n go.

but it is not the case here. Everything is normal after about 5 minutes run.

so the belt (or bearing spinning loosely?????) sound only happens during a cold start after more than 2 hours parking.

**and I do wait for the temperature to reach 80 degree celsius before I drive my car.

anyone can give me a clue about this?

I will call up my mechanic to advice what I may need to be aware of.

the belt spinning noise is quite embarassing, as the Esprit is not a common car on the road and gets alot of attention all the time. it's not good to let people hearing this awful noise.....

thx!

Edited by esprithk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does it get worse if you turn on full beam, rear screen heater etc? If so, it's your alternator belt and it's very, very easy to tighten :)

Eric, is the belt old or new? If it's old it could be 'bottoming' in the pulleys, which does tend to make the noise you describe, especially when cold.

Hi, Gary

it's confirmed to be the air-conditioner belt.

yes, it only happens when it's cold.

The belt slipping stops when the engine gets hotter. The pulley is confirmed to have something to do with the slipping noise, too.. But anyway, all the belt slipping sound is only related to the air-conditioner.

anyone knows if I must take out the engine/ transmission in order to change the air-conditioner belt?

Thx

You dont have to take the engine out, but its a bit of a pig to do. You will need to remove bith the the Alternator belt and the Power steering belt if it has one, before you can move the aircon auxilary belt.

Access is a bit restrictive which makes it awkward.

I think it was approx 3 hours to do the three belts (air, vacuum& water) and alternator on Newts the other week. Air con is the closes to the engine so to get that belt off the others have to come off and the easiest way is to replace all three with new ones at the same time. If you can get under the car with a reasonable amount of space (not flat on your back with the car on wheel ramps) it's not a bad job.