free hit
counters
Performance improvements - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Freeman

Performance improvements

Since an engine rebuild and the rebuild of the cars body, suspension, brakes, clutch, the list is endless, a number of minor problems have arisen. I suppose these have been minor, new fuel filter, clutch slave cylinder, 02 sensor etc, electrical problem, now the car runs really well and I am more than pleased with its performance. However, I ask my self a number of questions:-

1. Is the car running and set up as "well as it could be". (engine settings, wastegate, throttle adjustments etc) how can I check if all is running as "Lotus" intended. (Freescan?)

2. Given the limitation of the brakes and other important bits what could or should I change to improve the performance further. What is the accepted list of improvements. (Not talking about sending it away and have a V8 fitted, but what can be fitted or changed to make reasonable improvements to the performance.(rechip?)

3. Finally, given a bottomless pit, what would be the ultimate changes, it still needs to be reliable etc.

I may have missed it but the forum seams to devote lots of energy to keeping the cars going, not sure I have seen a section on safe performance improvement.

If any of you have experience of making changes, be glad to here from you.

Best regards

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

1 - Freescan is the answer.

2 - Air filter, de-cat, exhaust, turbo (!), chip, head work.

3 - As above.

Lots of people have improved their cars, mine included and I've most of the above. Have a look at Dermots website too, he's done pretty much everything you would want to! http://www.lotusesprit.org/

Of course, it has been discussed on here many times, just have a poke around and you'll see a good number of topics on performance upgrades.

Thanks bibs, can you reserve a freescan cable for me when they come in, any idea when that will be. Eager to play.

Certainly matey! I've ordered the components, just waiting for them to be delivered and assembled, won't be long I hope (couple of weeks kinda idea!)

you can save a cable for me as well . . please . . . i have been trouble shooting this no idle problem for months, like shooting in the dark without freescan . . .thanks

Bibs, I know you are busy but I had a thought, freescan seems to be the best way to examine an engine but I have heard that it is hard to set up and that you need to know what you are doing, how about an evening set up to have a teach in" on freescan, maybe an hour or so to show us your or someone elses experience.

I'd be very happy to host an evening, I have a large heated double garage and would be happy to provide fish and chips, drinks etc. I'd be happy to fund the food and drinks.

All we need is someone in the know, any suggestions, also it would not be unreasonnable if we made a small charge (adding to the coffers of LEF. Say

A volunteer guineapig car will be needed....

A GT3 would do! :)

We've got Robert's SE and Cliffs S4s on the stand, I could ask either of those if they'll mind! :)

The Donnington one is a good idea but there will be lots of people there and for those of us who need closer tuition or are unable to make the day would miss out.

Suggestion, we do both, one at the show then perhaps 2 or 3 weeks later we could do a more local one as I suggested at the begining of the thread.

Any comments

Dave

Both is fine by me, tell me more about the fish'n'chips :)

Ok, fish and chips, the fish bit is normally caught in the sea, we hook it (or net it) kill/freeze it. Its then prepared, battered to death, and then if its still not dead we put into boiling oil. The chips you know about, ..........enough of this ..

I thought we could do this either on a week day evening or make it a late saturday afternoon start, perhaps test one or two cars, look at normal errors, perhaps some adjustments to wastegate, throttle mechanisum etc.

Happy to play host, we could start at 5.00pm after general chat we could spend (guided by you) 1 hour on over view of Freescan, what you can and cannot do, best use of, known problems. Then take 2 cars (or more) through the set up and test routine. At around 8.00pm we could either break and go to the pub, (pay for your own here) or I'd be happy to provide fish and chips and refreshments (have to be sensible on the numbers, if theere are lots of takers then may have to say small contribution for food, but lets see who is interested first.

Should we start a new thread and see who is interest.

Dave

Dave, I would be very interested in learning more about Freescan....

Dave,

That is great idea...sorry we will miss the fish and chips over here...lol...one thing seriously missing here is a great or even good chippy shop...that and tea with biscuits...

Any chance, by the by, if the whole session can be recorded ? I would be me than happy to have Bibs charge me for a DVD and the post. I find the manual quite limiting in its explanations...

Bibs does that sound like a bit of a money maker? That would help those of us that cannot make it over

Christopher

Do not see any reason at all not to record the frescan event, Bibs should we start a new thread to see how many people are interested on the day, Happy to set up a video recording, just need someone with a decent camera.

SO who would be interested in attending a session near stansted airport 2 or 3 weeks after the donnington show. Once I get a few I'll post a new topic and we will get the list going. We can learn from the Donnington show what needs to covered, who knows Christopher in the USA could be right, a little money spinner for LEF.

Dave

Edited by Dave Freeman

If I missed it I apologize for a repeat, but I did not see it mentioned. Replace the stock coils with a set of the red MD ignition coils. Made a world of difference on my car. New coils with new wires made a day and night difference in the cars running. Throttle response was better, better mileage when driven conservatively, smoother running all around and combined with the other mods, produces a really wicked flame out the tail pipe when letting off the gas on high revs and/or down shifts. There is now a ricer running around Houston with a nasty burn mark on his front bumper who will never tailgate me again.

A set of coils is a cheap way to improve on performance and considering the age of your car, probally over due.

Another cheap mod is to bypass the air valve on the intake tubing. Connect the inlet tube from the left side air intake directly to the air filter box. Creates a ram air effect. Noticeable at speed and adds a nice intake whoosh.

I just love the techno jargon.