free hit
counters
donnigton advice! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

donnigton advice!

hi ppl

i have been offered a free hour at donnington with some very very special machines. we

get the track for a hour session, basically free for all LOL.

has anyone driving the track and give tips?

(ive never been on a track in my life btw)

do you think i need to higher the front of the gt3 as it my hit the ground?

do ppl overtake on the left on tracks? (can you tell i know nothing)

think i should take a helmet just in case i need one (dont think i do)

and random advice is welcome.

p.s. i will be the slowest car out there out off about 15-20 cars.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your car is slow as it has 3 tonnes of extra bodywork Karl!

Read this topic for some hints and tips...

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=21096

You will get a briefing in the morning, overtaking is only on the left and depending on the organisers it's usually by consent only. Donny should have helmets too but if you've got one, take it as it won't smell so much.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

no briefing matey!!!!! just turn up and GO GO GO!!!!

i thought you may know sturrrfff, no its slow against a TVR speed 12 me thinks, and the odd lp640 dotted around.

mmmMMMM ever felt the weight of a lotus's wing mirrors+elecs/door handle+mechanics/indicators/fog lights/exhaust systems/aerials.....NO.....its because you ppl still have all that nasty weight bolted to your cars LMAO, i believe mine is offset weight wise

you all have LARDY ESPRITS!!!!! LMAO, (oh and i am a stick LMAO)

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

No briefing? If not, then it's not a track day, it's probably display laps behind a safety car and there won't be any overtaking at all I'd have thought.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

beleve me its no parade LMAO, ive seen them at the show before, its quite mental.

last time i watched these guys one of them 360 his murci nearly into the pit wall.

i would think there would be a breifing (hope so tbh), but it didnt look like it the

previous year i watched them go out, may have been 10 mins before

dont think i will do many laps anyway, going at dinner to get new plugs/brake fluid

Make sure you get someone to take some pics all the same. Enjoy and don't try to copy that Lamborghini eh!

Evora NA

Karl Ive done similar track days here. Its more like a testing day where you sign your life away on a bit of paper and you basically go out on track amoungst it all. Check your insurance as most wont cover track days and you might need extra cover. Most supercar owners like a bit of space between them and you for obvious reasons, but as you say theres always exceptions. Let about 2 psi of pressure out of your tyres for extra grip as they start to warm up. Do a few laps and come in for a bit to let your brakes cool down. Dont put the handbrake on once entered and parked in pit lane esp if the discs are red hot. Check all yr fluids before you go.

Just start out slow and get used to the lines and then build up. Take your own helmet if you can.

Keep the sunny side up and take loads of pics and Karl cam on board ...Yeah!!!

350.gifNo.23

Hmmm Donnington!!!

If its wet take it really really easy, it is seriously slippery there in the damp/wet (pitwall, oncoming vehicle, pitwall, straight, pitwall, oncoming vehicle, pitwall, straight, pitwall, oncoming vehicle, pitwall, straight!!! I've done this)

If you have a helmet take it, I prefer to drive with an open face helmet as other wise it all gets a bit hot and steamy.

Drivers breifing will take place usually in a big room on the first floor there directly above the pits and normally about half hour before you go out.

Make sure you have plenty of fuel on board as its friggin embarassing to coast onto the pit straight due to running out (I should know).

take it easy, drive at your own pace and don't get sucked into the madness. Easy to say this when the Adrenalins not pumping.

Above all enjoy, you may not be the fastest out ther but you'll be surprised how much speed you can carry through the corners provided it dry and you've got good tyres!!

Oh and if you crash get out put both hands in the air and salute any spectators. There will be plenty of time later for recriminations, crying and nashing of teeth later!!

Good luck dude!!

^^^Agreed^^^ :(

Hope you do the short circuit cos the Melbourne loop is pants in comparison to the rest. There will probably be instructors on site. Swallow your pride and ask one to go round with you. They are usually really happy to go out for 2 or 3 laps and you'll learn masses if you've not tracked before. eg You'll be amazed how late you can leave your braking before the esses at the end of the back straight. The old hairpin can be tough to get right after the craner curves, but the rest flows nicely - you'll love it. I've not done it in the wet.....but on the basis of experienec at Castle Combe in the wet - be ready with the opposite lock if its even a bit damp or worse. :)

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

right i will tell you what its all about, its not a track day i have been invited by gumball 3000 to pack out there display really and that inc's free hour with the ballers on the track, so its no normal track day. hopefully ppl will give space but i have seen the guys go round and there quite insane at times.

im planning on staying out the way as my tyres are crappy and i have GT3 brakes BAHAHAHAHA, will nail it down the straights etc etc, but my car is no track car, its more the experience of being on track with some of the most expensive toyz on the planet. hopefully inc the TVR speed 12 (only one). the most common car is a lambo and i hope to have ago in a murci if possible. there are a couple of GT carreras/rari 360's-430's/R8's and maybe a couple of special things, if there not special enough LOL.

i think the melbourne loop bit (is that the hairpin) is shut for a europeon drift competition round 1.

Karl

Going down the hill through the Craner Curves is the best fun I've ever had with my clothes on. It was in a race prepared Alfasud so in a Lotus it should be out of this world?!

Enjoy it!

Of all the UK circuits it was my favourite - even better than the GP circuit at Brands Hatch which I also went round on one occasion.

Agree with others that melbourne loop spoils the last corner which otherwise is a tricky chicane.

John