free hit
counters
Both Wastegates Seized - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Both Wastegates Seized

"d finally those round flaps that normally close the bypass inside the turbo, bud do rattle if the actuator gos not fully on return backways !? "

You are spot on Gunter, that was the exact problem.

When I took the car in we were all standing underneath like a bunch of lemons trying to isolate where this rattle was coming from. However, after the cat (nearside) was taken off and the wastegate freed up, it was aparant the rattle was from inside the turbo and most likely the wastegate flap. HAving sorted the wastegate the noise is almost gone, you need to stick your head right under the car to hear it whilst before it was very loud.

I am hoping to get the car back Thursday but we may need to leave the offside wastegate as is due to the position and mechanic giving up trying to free it up.

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would say if you can still hear it (probably under idle -as the gas flow is not that havy under that condition..) -than the basic spring pressure is to soft !?

other point: can you see that there is not any deposit onto the flap seat-face ? (normally with the temperatures in that region there should be nothing ..) Does it close if you assist the spring on return of the actuator lever ??

I'm sure Marcus, Mike or others will guide you into the right setup for the flap control. And if you would have the old stock capsules than you can experience that the rust on that internal springcover can block the compression and release of the spring. That will block the actuator too..

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi..

After the mechanic freed up the nearside wastegate (offside still stuck solid, decided to leave it), collected the car a couple weeks back and the oil seal in the nearside turbo went on the day I collected it :rofl: . No choice but to get that turbo off, was a compelte nightmare, all nuts and pipe connectors were corroded beyond belief, most had to either be cut out or torched. Turbo Centre provided me a shiny new turbo and PNM were fantastic in helping with all the water pipes, connectors etc etc.

Collected the car yesterday, chuffed to bits, sounds fantastic with the decats etc fitted and to my surprise the right hand turbo oil seal blew :D , didn't even get 5 mile drive out of it..... No choice now, have to get the offside turbo out replaced by Turbo Centre........

I suppose the car will be tip top when I get it back, two shiny new turbos (inc actuator), both wastegates sorted, all the water/oil pipes replaced as well as bolts from turbo to manifold and cat to turbo all nice and new.....

The car has done 50K miles so I guess x2 new turbos were on the cards at some point.

It isn't half embarrasing driving through town with smoke pissing out the back.......

I still love the car though, can't wait to get it back (Again).

Cheers

you are not the first :D with that *blow out* experience , and you will definitely not be the last.. .

Funny thing is the generous smile in those 'ordinary dads' vaces, driving along the road in estate cars -right in the moment you step on the pedal and got nothing than white& blue smoke and steam..

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a happy Esprit owner (again)....

After x7 weeks in the garage, x2 new turbos, x2 new actuators, new water and oil feeds, x2 new O2 sensors, almost all the bolts (turbo/manifold and cat/turbo) needing drilled/burned out and about