free hit
counters
350 Second Gear Grinding :( - Page 2 - Sport 350 Technical - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

350 Second Gear Grinding :(

What a saga. A full gearbox rebuild was required, 2nd was smashed to pieces. The car had only 19,000K's on it and ran really strong before the problem - so it does suggest that one high revving, jam it in 2nd gearchange can do some serious damage. We've also used Redline ShockProof oil in the gearbox this time around, it's done wonders in the Ferrari's so it on duty in the 350. Will post on progress as we go.

It took months for all the bits to arrive, and the mechanic did work on some of our other cars during the downtime. As Flamey posted above - the car's back and being gently exercised again. I've pinched one of Flamey's pictures of it back on the road to post here.

post-5893-1247815842_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope your mechanic knows what he is getting himself into...this is no easy job..if you know how to get the box out, it will come out in about 1.5-3 hours..assuming boot floor comes out easy...those self fixing silly nuts in the fibre glass in the UK are usually rusted solid.

Assuming he has the box out...Assuming he can repair the damage...He will spend a lot of hours working dam hard... Best be very careful and visit him Often to see and ask him what part of the job he is working on.

Its one thing to admit he messed up, another, to actually carry out the work.. Soon as possible and get it right... I do hope you have lady luck on ya side...

We do have 5 speed gearbox up grades over here in the UK...and like mine a 6 speed...regards Rob C

[email protected] or 07976 609881