free hit
counters
Car pulled to the right dreadfully - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

Car pulled to the right dreadfully

Sometime last year I posted a message to say that even after my red Esprit had been in for wheel alignment, the car still pulled to the right dreadfully.

I tried changing the left and right wheels over, but this made no difference whatsoever.

After returning from our three month holiday visiting two of my children in Australia and New Zealand, I took the car back to the alignment shop and asked them why I was still having the problem and left the car with them.

I do not know what they did, but I picked up the car this morning and what a pleasure it is to drive. No more pulling to the rights and just as much pressure needed to turn to the left as the right.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Roger

Glad you got it sorted. It would be interesting to know what they found and fixed, even just for reference. As you know, my problem was heavy steering to the left, not pulling, which seems to have been corrected through a combination of new rack and the new Lotus suspension. Steering is wonderfully direct and precise now.

Robert

My car has the same issue,

Sometimes it pulls to the right, and after a while there seems to be no problem.

Is this a known issue? (It also feels that left hand turn feels slightly heavier)

plumdeplakmuis

They should pull nice and even, so if you post more details somebody may have experienced the same issues.

You state it pulls unevenly then afte r awhile it's fine, do you mean after a few uses of the brakes, a few miles, just random?

Andy

Yes, when it was pulling to the right, it was dreadfully hard to turn the wheel to the left.

I take it that you have had the alignment checked. The mere fact that it took my alignment centre two goes worries me, but what a difference it has made.

It all started from when I first purchased the car and found the front left wheel was rubbing on the bodywork when turning a corner. I measured each front wheel to back wheel and found that the left side was 10 mm shorter than the right. The alignment centre shimmed where necessary and then did a complete alignment. That was when my pulling to the right started. It never did it when the wheel was too far back.

Roger.

My guess is that they altered the set-back by shimming at the point wher ethe ARB mounts to the chassis (that's how it should be done), but failed to shim the top ball joint and top wishbone to compensate (move the top ball joint forward / back by the same amount the bottom has move forward / back, not doing the latter would cause excessive/ insufficient caster (depending on the direction they moved the bottom one. It then means that one wheel has correct caster, one is incorrect, and things get quite nasty.

SimonF has an issue where his car under-steers badly on right hand turns (nasty for roundabouts in the UK), but is fine on left hand turns, his wheel is set back by 21mm, so we've got quite a bit to do to corect this, i'm guessing we'll be shimming to max on one side (max permissible for top ball joint), then removing shims on the other side to similar limit.

Garp.

I also didn't ask if this is under braking or not, whether it's only happening on certain roads, whether it's only happening on one side of the road crown.

Andy

Andy,

This is the situation;

Car; 1980 Esprit S2.2

- The car has being realigned at the shop, 2 weeks ago, now 100kms since then,

unalighnment was noticed after only 35kms.

- At both sides of the steering balljoint no thread is left, therefore toe-in is not possible

- It pulls to the right while braking, when steering wheel is let loose.

When holding steering wheel the pull to the right is not noticable.

- It generally pulls to the right

- Randomly the car has no noticable pull to any side, and feels alighned

- It feels that the car has limited caster, as at low speeds there is no self centering of the steering

- Tire pressure is set at 2.0bar all round, with 1.3 bar the steering feels soggy

I will try 1.5 front 1.8 rear

- Tires size F205/60/R14 R205/70/R14

Thanks,

No thread left for track rod ends? That sounds like incorrect components, either incorrect TREs or incorrect rack.

As it's only pulling when braking I'd suspect the brakes, probably best to strip both, clean, re-assemble with new seals and rubber grease and do a thorough bleed of the system, possibly flushing the whole system. I doubt the steering is the cause of the pull to one side.

Shouldn't pressures be 1.3 and 1.9 ? If you're running same front and rear, and high on both that would alter quite a bit of the feel of the car, but I still wouldn't think it would cause a pull to one side.

If you have access to equipment it's worth just checking the work done by the alignment shop yourself.

Andy

It aint the brakes, as it is not only pulling to the right while braking.

Most of the time it is pulling to the right when driving, and randomly the pulling stops after a few corners.

"not only pulling to the right while braking."

Do you mean when braking it could pull either way?

OR

It generally pulls to the right, sometimes while braking sometimes while not braking?

If you could take some pics of the back of the hubs, showing track rod ends, track control arms it may help.